$250,000 missing promissory note...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rube

My jurisdiction is: Tucson, AZ pima county

Our families mother sold her house to my sisters daughter and her husband for 850,000.
The deal was 600,000 down and a personal promissory note of 250,000 was issued to my mother.

The escrow paper was created twice the first time indicated the promissory note of 250,000
and a second escrow paper soon later indicating that the 250,000 was a gift. I learned that my mother had to co-sign for the 250,000 loan and through this process they called it a gift- thus the promissory note between the two parties.

I personally viewed and my mother verified to me that she had the promissory note stored in her personal file cabinet. The note was to be paid in full due upon resale of the house in question. The contract had other stipulations, regarding interest paid etc.

Mother has passed away. The will and testament stated that my sister, who's daughter bought mothers house and another sister and myself are the three trustees of the estate. We saw the estate CPA, he gave us our fiduciary documents- obligations, duties, laws etc.
Both sisters entered mothers' house, her personal items and papers without me as the third trustee being present. The 250,000 note is now been taken- it's missing. Mother's jewelry, silverware and other furnishings are gone as well. They are in collusion saying the note was torn-up and the 250.000 note no longer exists.

They state as well, there was no jewelry when I can prove otherwise that there was expensive jewelry an now its gone. I had a recent meeting with them including my sisters daughter's husband who bought the house. They all said they would pay me my share of the note under the table but they did not want to pay the fourth sibling his share and they did not want to pay taxes to the government for the 250,000 note.
I as a trustee cannot do such a deal that goes against the terms of the trust. What should I do? Ive tried multiple times to make them come to their senses? They gave me an ultimatum, which is- I would have to make up my mind, "be with them or the fourth sibling!" I want what the will has stated!
I had a nervous breakdown from the subversion and the duplicity and the potential loss of the estates equity. Help!

Last edited:
Your choice isn't between "with them or with the other sibling". It's a choice between "with them or with your mother's will". Frankly, I don't think it's even much of a choice - in Groucho's immortal words, "I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would accept me as a member". These are not people you want to align yourself with.

You and your sisters are under strict duties as trustees to carry out the terms of your mother's will. If you cannot convince them to respect your mother's wishes, you need to apply to have them removed as trustees, and sue for the return of the missing items.

Can you clarify what the deal on the sale of the house was? I'm confused.

Your choice isn't between "with them or with the other sibling". It's a choice between "with them or with your mother's will". Frankly, I don't think it's even much of a choice - in Groucho's immortal words, "I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would accept me as a member". These are not people you want to align yourself with.

You and your sisters are under strict duties as trustees to carry out the terms of your mother's will. If you cannot convince them to respect your mother's wishes, you need to apply to have them removed as trustees, and sue for the return of the missing items.

Can you clarify what the deal on the sale of the house was? I'm confused.
Dee dub-
The house was sold from my mother to my sisters daughter and husband.The price was 850,000. 600,000 was initial payment. My mother so-signed for the final 250,000
to approve/qualify the loan. In the escrow papers, which were done twice, the 250,000 was listed as a gift to the couple. I didnt like the sound of that, but the couple issued a 250,000 promissory note to cover the unpaid debt. It was a contract with stipulations about payment due, interest etc. The note was fulfilled/issued and mother retired the note to her file cabinet- the note was due upon the re-sale of the house. The husband is a contractor and he bought the house to fix it up for resale. Mother died- the note has been taken from her file.
The only person to have access after mothers death was the couples mother- my sister.
They claim the note evaporated- its gone, and therefore the house was given away to the couple.
I know its a brutal lie. I saw the note and I iheard mother say the note was in her possesion.
How should I best tackle this? I only see a law suit in the future. Ive approached them various times - they even rewrote the note with new terms that I agreed on but they didnt sign it. I believe its time to go to court.

Last edited:
It might not be time to go to court, but its definitely time to get legal representation. Above all you need to ensure you do the right thing as executor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back