18 Special Needs Child-Runaway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davesangel2014

My daughter just turned 18 in March. She is mentally incapable of taking care of herself. She refuses to take her medication on a daily basis. She left home and went to live with her older sister. I am her Mother. What can I legally do with her. I was going to file papers for ARY but it is for age till 17. She needs help now.

My daughter just turned 18 in March. She is mentally incapable of taking care of herself. She refuses to take her medication on a daily basis. She left home and went to live with her older sister. I am her Mother. What can I legally do with her. I was going to file papers for ARY but it is for age till 17. She needs help now.

You can contact the police and see if they will do an emergency commitment for her in order for a psychiatrist to evaluate her mental health.
You can use the time, if they attempt to get her evaluated to speak with a lawyer and seek a conservator ship over her.
Don't hold out too much hope for success, as a short walk down any city street will reveal the streets are full of homeless people, most of them with mental illnesses deemed not harmful to themselves or others.

Yeah, I know, but that's the law.

Not much you can do, unless you're rich, or get lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back