1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

18 Special Needs Child-Runaway

Discussion in 'Emancipation Law' started by Davesangel2014, Apr 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davesangel2014

Davesangel2014 Law Topic Starter New Member

My daughter just turned 18 in March. She is mentally incapable of taking care of herself. She refuses to take her medication on a daily basis. She left home and went to live with her older sister. I am her Mother. What can I legally do with her. I was going to file papers for ARY but it is for age till 17. She needs help now.

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

You can contact the police and see if they will do an emergency commitment for her in order for a psychiatrist to evaluate her mental health.
    You can use the time, if they attempt to get her evaluated to speak with a lawyer and seek a conservator ship over her.
    Don't hold out too much hope for success, as a short walk down any city street will reveal the streets are full of homeless people, most of them with mental illnesses deemed not harmful to themselves or others.

Yeah, I know, but that's the law.

Not much you can do, unless you're rich, or get lucky.