18 but still in school

Jodie0813

Jurisdiction
Texas
My daughter turned 18 this month and graduates in may. Her Dad told her today that she still has to come for visitation till she graduates. The way I read my papers was that the visitation is till she is 18. Can someone help clear this up for me please.

My daughter turned 18 this month and graduates in may. Her Dad told her today that she still has to come for visitation till she graduates. The way I read my papers was that the visitation is till she is 18. Can someone help clear this up for me please.

Instead of picking a fight over this I suggest you sit your daughter down and say "Hey, this is your father, go visit. It won't kill you and you might need him for something someday."

She may be an adult in the eyes of the law but she isn't too old that she can't be given a healthy dose of common sense.

Instead of picking a fight over this I suggest you sit your daughter down and say "Hey, this is your father, go visit. It won't kill you and you might need him for something someday."

She may be an adult in the eyes of the law but she isn't too old that she can't be given a healthy dose of common sense.

We have sat down and talked. And if you don't know the circumstances surrounding my question then don't just assume the worst on this end. I want them to have a relationship with their Dad...there's alot of water under that bridge and it will take time to repair it. I just need to understand before more damage is done.

This will cause more damage..... As stated above she is 18 and can come and go as she wants. Even in your house. Heck she can now have her boyfriend come over and spend the night at your house. She doesn't have to listen to anyone...... But a grown up would continue to say " Honey, he is your father. Everyone makes mistakes in life." It's that simple.... We don't know the details nor do we need to know. This is just a common life answer that smart people take.

What does the order say? Does it say until 18 or does it say until finished with school?

Whatever the order says, that's what rules.

What does the order say? Does it say until 18 or does it say until finished with school?

Whatever the order says, that's what rules.

It says for any child under the age of 18 or not otherwise emancipated. It's just the child support portion says till she graduates so I wanted to make sure.

It says for any child under the age of 18 or not otherwise emancipated. It's just the child support portion says till she graduates so I wanted to make sure.

You are correct.
Even if the order said she had to visit dad it would be unenforceable now that she is an adult.
It is completely up to her.

You can talk to her all you want but you can't make her go see him. Explain to her she should but if she doesn't, oh well. Nothing you can do about it and nothing he can do about it.

Back