18 But Still In High School

procraft

Jurisdiction
Kentucky
My daughter turned 18 back in early December. To spare all the details there has been a whole lot of things happen in my home and against my family by her and I'm trying to figure out what legal rights I have as far as kicking her out of my house to go live with her mother or somewhere else? I live in the state of Kentucky and wondering about wrongful eviction or anything like that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Now that your daughter is a legal adult, you are free to evict her as you would a tenant. You will need to comply with your state's landlord-tenant laws and may want to consult with a local landlord-tenant attorney.

Now that your daughter is a legal adult, you are free to evict her as you would a tenant. You will need to comply with your state's landlord-tenant laws and may want to consult with a local landlord-tenant attorney.
Even thought there is no kind of rental agreement or anything like that?

Even thought there is no kind of rental agreement or anything like that?

You can try this the easy way, or the hard way.

Easy way:

You: Betty, daddy has nice gift for you.

Betty: What, daddy?

You: I have a ONE WAY airline ticket leaving in 48 hours (bus or Amtrak ticket, too if that works for YOU) and $200 in cash as a special gift so you can go live with, mommy. Now you better hurry up and pack your stuff, so you can get on your happy way.

Netty: daddy, that is so nice, thank you.

Hard way:

You must do the following and ONLY in the order specified.

Before filing the eviction lawsuit with the court, the landlord is required to give the tenant a seven-day notice to vacate the premises.

The notice must state that the tenant has seven days to pay rent or the lease will terminate and eviction proceedings will begin (see Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 383.660(2)).

In your case, since she paid (pays) no rent, you're simply giving he notice to leave no later than seven days from the date you give her the letter.

A lengthier explanation is provided on this website:

The Eviction Process in Kentucky: Rules for Landlords and Property Managers

Thank you for that information. You didn't happen to run across a template or the 7 day notice that doesn't include owed money?

I have one other question that I am wondering about.I took away her cell phone that I provided and pay the bill on. I do have legal rights to read the text messages that are within that device correct?

Back