17 Year Old Leaving Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubba

Hi, so ill be 17 in 11 months. I live with my mother who is one of jehovahs witnesses. I want to live with my father who is not. however my mother wont let me. she doesn't have custody papers on me and didn't on my little brother either. he is 14 and lives with his father (also not a jehovahs witness). he left for the weekend when he was 10 and has been there ever since. my mother says if I leave then she will call the police and drag courts and a whole mess into the situation. when I was 12 I was having issues with her and said I was gonna kill myself and her and everyone and she called a policeman. he talked with me outside and said I had to listen to her and live under her roof until I was 17. so my question is, when im 17 can I leave and go to my fathers house? when I do can my mother report a kidnapping or runaway or any kind? I just need to know how long before I can be free of her. my mother fights with me all the time and when im home I stay in my room. I have graduated already and my fathers home is a safe place. im not happy here. I have bouts of depression and its just not a good place. I need to know what the quickest thing I can do is as far as getting out of here.

Last edited:
If mom has legal and physical custody of you, then you go only where she allows you to go. If you go to your fathers and he allows you to remain even after being told that you are a runaway or out of mom's control, your dad could be charged with a crime. He might also find that mom will try to enforce her rights with your brother as well.

When you are 18 you can leave with whatever mom lets you leave with. Until then, anywhere you go must be with mom's approval, or, anyone who aids you risks prosecution.

Tell her if she does not allow you to go live with dad, you are going to start celebrating holidays and know you are going to Heaven when you die.

so my question is, when im 17 can I leave and go to my fathers house? No. You can at 18, but at 17 you are still under the care and control of your custodial parent.

when I do can my mother report a kidnapping or runaway or any kind? If you are under 18 when you do yes. If you are over 18 when you do no.

I just need to know how long before I can be free of her. The earlier of the day she gives you permission to leave, or your 18th birthday.

The age of majority for you is 18 not 17 - you can then go live where you wish without Mom's permission. Before 18, you need her permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back