16 year old girl forced into horrible situation by her parents

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is noble of OP to care, even though they are powerless. I think they will need to content themselves with providing resources such as support and housing, when the girl turns 18, to enable her to continue her life and education.

And I am wondering how much of the circumstances going on a continent away the OP has actual knowledge of, and how much of it was imparted by Sara. Who is not exactly unbiased, and has an incentive to - I'll be polite and say, exaggerate.

If a minor in Pennsylvania can be emancipated depends on what county you live in. In those which will, the minor will be expected to be able to be self supporting.

Proserpina -

I would never send my 16 year old, academically excelling daughter to a different state, take her out of school, and exploit her as a source of money by making her work until she is 18. If you believe they should not be criticized, I truly question your sense of morality and judgement.

Disagreeable -

I appreciate the thought. As soon as she is no longer legally bound to remain in this situation, we will gladly take her in and provide the resources she needs to to allow her to continue where she was left off. This situation is just awful, and my heart breaks for her.

cbg -

Many families in the area have been aware of Sara's awful family situation for years. I have been personally witness to many of the awful events that have transpired. When the mom's drunk boyfriend attacked and choked her, she ran and stayed at our house until the police arrived.

When the girl was tricked and taken to Alaska, they took her phone. When they gave it back, she tried to alert as many adults as possible, because she did not know if what her unstable parents were doing was illegal. Those of us who knew the mom believed it was certainly possible that the girls portrayal of this particular sequence of events could be accurate, but we had no way of knowing for sure if her description was exactly how the event had transpired. A friend of mine, who has known the mom for years, asked her if what her daughter said was true. Her mother's pleasant response was as follows - "Yeah its true, so? She's my daughter, I can do what I want."

From what I gather, the most I can do is financially support her in 2 years, and help her complete her education and get into college. I feel so, so bad for the poor girl

Last edited:
The girl wasn't "tricked", because it was never her decision to begin with. And frankly, it's not your place to criticize the parenting decisions of someone else unless the child is being abused. This situation simply does NOT reach the level of abuse.

It's time to put this thread to bed, I believe. :cool:

Sara's is a sad tale, but the stories I could tell.
We're the the midst of a presidential election.
We're still talking about abortion rights, free contraceptives, and college educations for all.
Yet, hundreds of thousands of children are neglected, abused, molested, malnourished, and miseducated.
Many of our senior citizens do their best to get by on $600-700 a month.
Domestic violence is at an all time high.
Drunken drivers patrol our highways, looking for innocent families to maim.
Our veterans sacrifice to serve, while our nation neglects them, too.
As if that wasn't enough to make Satan shed a tear, millions of able bodied adults, willing to work; can't find employment.
We have lost our way.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back