1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

16 with a child

Discussion in 'Emancipation Law' started by Aundrea16, Aug 8, 2016.

  1. Aundrea16

    Aundrea16 Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Hello I was just wondering what I can do, I'm currently 16 years old and I have a one month old son and his father and I are still together he is 18 and has a part time job at burger kind so he dosent make more then maybe 800 dollars a month my question is what are my rights on moving out and applying for things such as section 8 I'm currently house hopping from both my parents houses with my son I need a place to lI've with my son and boyfriend please any information would be helpful I'm willing to talk to anyone I have a phone and email if needed to talk if the information isn't on housing but can be helpful to no or might end up coming up please note in
  2. army judge

    army judge Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    All state assistance programs have dozens of rules, and dozens of qualifiers.
    This site offers lots of help and tips.
    WashingtonLawHelp.org | A guide to free and low-cost legal aid, assistance and services in Washington

    However, as a minor, your parent(s) or guardian(s) MUST be involved.

    The state will also want to know who the name and contact information for the putative father.

    You area minor.

    He is ALLEGEDLY an adult.

    You must also be attending school FULL time in order to receive benefits.

    If you choose not to comply with that requirement, benefits will be reduced such that monies will be paid ONLY for the baby.

    As a minor, you'll need a designated adult payee to oversee the funds, as well as your activities and life.

    So, mother, father, legal guardian must be involved.

    Otherwise, you and the baby could be declared "wards of the state", and legal guardians will be appointed to oversee and protect each of you.

    That could mean legal trouble for your mother and father, too.

    But, you'll never know until you apply.
    You can apply right here online:

    Washington Connection (Your Link to Services)
    You may be able to get help (money) from the state TANF program if you are:

    under the age of 18 AND

    low-income AND

    you have children, or are pregnant


    In addition to the above, to get the full TANF amount, you must also:

    have a protective payee, and live with your parents, another adult relative, a legal guardian, or in a DSHS-approved living situation; AND

    be in high school or in a GED program, and meeting that program's attendance requirements; OR

    be looking for work, or otherwise taking part in WorkFirst if you already have your diploma

    If you cannot get a full TANF grant because of the living situation rules and/or school attendance rules, you can still get TANF for just your child. You can also get other benefits for your children and yourself, such as food stamps and medical coverage.

    As the mother of a new born infant, you are probably eligible for WIC.

    You might be better served, and quicker, too; if you go in and meet someone "face to face":

    You apply in-person at your local DSHS Community Service Office (CSO)

    Capitol Hill Community Services Office
    2 reviews · Social Services Organization
    1700 E Cherry St · (206) 568-5500
    Opens at 8:00 AM

    King North Community Services Office
    3 reviews · Social Services Organization
    9600 College Way N #1151 · (877) 501-2233
    Opens at 8:00 AM

    Community Service Office
    1 review · Social Services Organization
    3600 S Graham St · (206) 760-2000
    Opens at 8:00 AM

    How to find more DSHS CSO sites online:
    Find a Community Services Office (CSO) | Washington State Department of Social and Health Services

    Okay, let's lay out the rules your state uses in offering assistance to unwed mothers.

    The program that is available in WA, is called: Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) is the welfare program that gives cash grants to needy families.

    How or whether anyone can receive such assistance is complicated.

    Here we go:

    Who can get TANF?

    You must be:

    Low-income AND

    One of the following:

    a U.S. citizen

    have a green card

    an American Indian born outside the U.S.

    a victim of trafficking

    A Hmong or Highland Lao

    be an eligible "qualified alien" (definition here);


    One of the following;

    pregnant, with no other children in the home

    child(ren) under 18 and parent(s) who live together

    child(ren) who live with a relative or other custodial adult (also called "in loco parentis")

    a child over 18, but under 19, who has not graduated from high school and who is a full-time student at a secondary school or at a vocational or technical training

    a disabled person between 19 and 21 who is participating in a full-time secondary school program or the same level of vocational training;


    You live in Washington state.

    Hold on, they have more rules:

    Other eligibility requirements are:

    Your TANF time limits have not expired, or DSHS has granted you an exemption from the time limit. See our publication Questions and Answers On The TANF Five-Year Time Limit

    You must provide your social security number

    You must have a face-to-face interview at initial certification. (There are hardship exceptions to this rule.)

    *Most two-parent families can get TANF if they meet all other eligibility requirements.

    You must participate in a WorkFirst orientation if DSHS considers you a mandatory participant in WorkFirst (There are certain exemptions to this rule.)

    Who cannot get TANF?

    Some people could still be ineligible:

    You are not eligible for TANF if you:

    Are convicted of a felony and fleeing to another state to avoid punishment

    Have Violated probation or parole

    Are a worker on strike

    Are an undocumented immigrant

    Are a "lawfully present" alien who is ineligible for other reasons (read here)

    Child(ren) living with a parent or adult relative whose sixty-month life TANF time limit expired. See our publication called Questions and Answers On The TANF Five-Year Time Limit.

    You may be ineligible for TANF if you have been:

    Convicted of a drug-related felony

    Convicted of welfare fraud

    More rules:

    Once they approve me for TANF benefits, do I have to do anything else?

    Yes. To get your grant, you must:

    Give DSHS the right to collect and keep child support as reimbursement for the TANF benefits they give you.

    Cooperate with DSHS in establishing paternity and child support for your children, UNLESS you can show DSHS that cooperation will harm you or your children. This is "good cause" for not cooperating.

    Cooperate with DSHS in a review of your eligibility at least once a year.

    Cooperate with DSHS in a quality assurance review process.

    Tell DSHS about any changes in your circumstances, such as when you move, get any money or the number of people in your household changes.

    Make sure your child goes to school. If you have a child age 16 to 18, that child must go to school to be eligible for TANF. If your child is not in school, DSHS may take his/her portion of the TANF grant away from your family's grant until s/he returns to school. If this child is your only child, both you and your child will lose TANF.

    Participate in job search or work-related activities through the WorkFirst Program, unless you are exempt from this requirement. See our publication Questions and Answers about WorkFirst.

    Okay, good luck.

    Welcome to the awful, crappy world of being an adult.

    How do I know?

    I've, unfortunately, endured it for decades.
  3. army judge

    army judge Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    One more VERY important item for you to note:

    May I live with my child's father if he is 18 or older?

    It depends on the age difference between you and your child's father. If he is a certain number of years older, DSHS will not let you get TANF benefits if you live with him.

    DSHS will not give you benefits while you live with any adult boyfriend who is a certain number of years older, even if he is not your child's father. If you have questions about this rule, talk to legal services.

  4. cbg

    cbg Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    You are a minor. You live where your parents say you live. Having a child at 16 does NOT give you any move-out rights. You can move out of your parents' home on the earlier of the day they give you permission, or the day you turn 18. If that means that you don't get to live with your boyfriend for another two years, then that's what it means. There is no law in Washington or any other state in the US that is going to force your parents to let you live where you want to live as long as you are still one minute under the age of 18. The fact that you had the incredibly bad judgement as to have a child at 16 does not change that.
  5. shrinkmaster

    shrinkmaster Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    You have several problems here.

    1. The law says you live where your Parents or legal guardian says you live
    2. Housing has a LONG waiting list!
    3. Seeking TNF or the like could pose a problem for child's Father. the age of consent in your state is 16 and if you got preggers before that he could face charges of rape

Share This Page