15 year old pregnancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbell

My15 year old step-daughter is pregnant and I don't know what to do. She's refusing to put the baby up for adoption, but we cannot afford to support the baby. She is only a sophomore in high school and has 2 more years to go. My husband is out of work and we still have 4 minor children to support. We've explained to her that adoption is the best option, as the child would have everything he needs. We currently have 5 people living in a 3 bedroom home and would not even have a bedroom for the baby. My son does not even have his own room yet, as we were just married in December.

She thinks she can support the baby on a part-time job, while attending school full-time. She has no transportation and does not even have a job yet. I checked with my insurance company, and they will not cover the baby once she leaves the hospital.

As her legal guardians, what are our rights and responsibilities and what are hers? Is there a way we can legally make her put the baby up for adoption? We live in the the State of Ohio. Please help!

You have zero say so over the child. You actually have no say so over the Mother as you are a legal stranger to child. You cannot force her to give child up/abort or any other choice. I agree adoption could be best solution as this young girl has no clue what to do, however she has to make the choice she cannot be forced. Where is the Father and how old is he? Once child is born get a paternity test and seek a support order. If the Father is over 18 (maybe younger) consider statutory rape charges. Look into state programs like welfare, food stamps etc to help ease the burden this will place on all of you. You are not responsible to the care of the baby only the minot Mother.

We are not exactly sure who the father is. She claims it is one boy (who is 18) but he claims he was not with her at the time she became pregnant

I would not wait to file charges. This will send a message to her and others that this will not be tolerated. Its likely her Doctor will file a report with CPS due to her pregnancy. If this man continues to deny child is his once child is born get a paternity order. Once he is established as Father get a support order

i don't think there is a way you can force her to give the baby up for adoption. No doubt I think it's the best thing but not sure if you can talk her into it. You can look into a home for pregnant teens, and tell her she needs to go live there should she choose to keep the baby. Tough love but somebody has got to do it.

Let her know she must establush paternity and file for child support. I am not sure if an 18 yr old and 15 yr old having sex is illegal in your state.

Age of consent in Ohio is 16 so the sex was illegal. this means the "adult" who had sex with her has committed a sex crime and can be prosecuted. Here is Ohio's statutory rape laws

Ohio

§ 2907. 04
Sexual assault for a person age 18 to engage in sexual conduct with a minor if the actor knows that the minor is between ages 13 and 16
(1) Six to 18 months in prison, (2) if the actor is less that four years older than the victim, a $ 1,000 fine, or (3) if the actor is 10 or more years older than the victim, one to five years in prison.

I Know what you are going through!!!!!

I was 15 when I had my first and it was hard if she doesn't want to give the baby up then you shouldn't make her. She made that choose to have sex and now she wants to own up to her mistakes. My mom wanted me to get an abortion. I fisinhed high school with one class keeping me from getting an advanced diploma and a full time job with no trasportation other than my mom taking me to work. So don't say she can't do it. Give her the support she needs instead of trying to make her feel like she should give up on everything. I had the support of my mom until I moved out with the man that is now my husband. I'm 21 now and I am in the best place in my life ever. Having my daughter that young made me a better person. She made me do great in school, finish school, and start college to be a nurse. I know that you may not be in the best place in life for this to happen, but god had his own plan. Things will work out in the end. Please don't make her do something that she doesn't feel is right for her baby. I know that in Alabama law she will be considered grown when she has the baby. The doctor will not file anything about her pregnancy and if you do file for rape that will cause her to hate you for the rest of ya'lls life. Believe me my mom tried to pull that card after she found out the guy I was with was 16.

Last edited:
Dragongirl I appreciate your response, but not so sure about the rape charges. This man is 18, is not her boyfriend, and was never her boyfriend. It was a one time deal that ended her up in trouble. I'm a firm believer that everyone needs to be held accountable for their actions and he knew she was only 15. In the state of ohio the law is different, the state does not recognize emmancipation, unless married (16 or older) or join the service. And I feel adoption is best because this child would be basically born into poverty. My husband is out of work, I do not make enough for us to live on and I'm currently enrolled in college myself. Sometimes it's hard for a young person to see things clearly, as they have always been taken care of, as she has. She has no idea how hard it will be to be a full-time student, full-time mom and work. I'm looking out for her and the babies best interest. There are also other children in the house to consider, should they also suffer from her mistakes?

An adult had sex with a minor below age of consent! that rape!! Failure to report this makes we wonder how caring a parent is the guardian of 15 year old!:mad:

well obviously you read it wrong, I was referring to the fact that dragongirl suggested not to file rape charges because she would hate us for the rest of our lives. I was trying to explain to her that it was the right thing to file charges on an 18 year old man for having sex with a 15 year old girl. That all people need to be held accountable for their actions. In the future, please read thoroughly or ask questions before passing judgment

Perhaps you should reread. I did not name you I was making a coverall statement. It was not directed at if fact I would direct it more at dragongirl

I understand that it is rape I was just stating that she wouldn't want her step-daughter to hate her. Now I know that you are looking out for her best and what's best for the baby but legally you can't make her, she has to make that decision for herself, not the mention that you are just her step-mom you legally don't have the right to make her. Now I didn't say it wasn't going to be hard because it is. She will have to grow up fast and most of her friends won't be her friends anymore if she keeps the baby but it is worth it. If she decides to go with the adoption suggest that she have an open adoption to where she can see the baby and have updates about the baby. That way she will not feel like she has totally given up her baby.

We have suggested open adoption and yes I know I'm her step mom, but her father has full-custody and we both agree that adoption would be best for her. She does not seem to understand the importance of putting the babies needs ahead of her own. She has absolutely no source of income and has no clue where the money will come from to support the baby, she can't afford the crib, car seat, food, formula, diapers, daycare, health care. Dragongirl, you were lucky that your mom was there and willing to help you and I applaud you for being able to raise a baby at such a young age. As a mother myself (i have 3 kids), it's not easy and her father and I are trying to look out for what is best for her. We don't want her giving up her childhood and we want what's best for the baby. Which would be a stable home, where he can get everything he needs.

she obviously has no idea what she is in for having a baby at 15. Many 15 year olds that have babies drop out of school, go on welfare, their future is doomed.

Although you or Dad cannot probably make her give the baby up for adoption, you can let her know if she is going to live there, she MUST follow those rules. Those rules are, she must establish paternity and file for child support against the Dad.

She must go back to school and see if she qualifies for daycare assistance. You and dad are not going to be babysitters. It is her baby she needs to take care of it.

also getting her on some birth control, like the shot, probably would not be a bad idea.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Duranie and believe it or not, we had her on birth control....the pill. Obviously she didn't take it. I appreciate your advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back