1099 wrong (or is it)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ESprung

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I made payments on a type of "insurance" on my mortgage called a Borrowers Protection Plan.

The plan was cancelled and I received a check for all fees plus interest. The letter said I would receive a 1099 for the INTEREST PORTION OF THE REFUND. Makes sense, the money I paid for the defunct plan has already been taxed.

I paid $4,200 into the plan, refund was $5,589, so I expected a 1099 for the difference of $1,389. Instead I'm getting a 1099 for the full amount!

Looks like I can't do my taxes online with this, what appears to be an error, so of course I'll have to have them done - consulting with the preparation person/firm.

But just want to know how difficult it is to unravel this. The bank isn't going to change the 1099, and is my understanding correct - that I should get a 1099 only for interest?

I made payments on a type of "insurance" on my mortgage called a Borrowers Protection Plan.

The plan was cancelled and I received a check for all fees plus interest. The letter said I would receive a 1099 for the INTEREST PORTION OF THE REFUND. Makes sense, the money I paid for the defunct plan has already been taxed.

I paid $4,200 into the plan, refund was $5,589, so I expected a 1099 for the difference of $1,389. Instead I'm getting a 1099 for the full amount!

Looks like I can't do my taxes online with this, what appears to be an error, so of course I'll have to have them done - consulting with the preparation person/firm.

But just want to know how difficult it is to unravel this. The bank isn't going to change the 1099, and is my understanding correct - that I should get a 1099 only for interest?

Sorry to hear of your difficulties filing your taxes.
You don't want to compound those difficulties by seeking free advice.
You need to speak with a CPA, an IRS enrolled agent, or a tax attorney.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back