What specific law applies to this roommate situation?

Brijo

Jurisdiction
California
So last week I moved into a new place to live, as a roommate in the L.A. area. The 3BR house is owned by the two other roommates, who bought the place together as friends. We met and talked for a couple hours before they extended the invite for me to move in, and I accepted, thinking it would be a good fit. But on the day I started moving in, immediately I sensed this really strange vibe coming from one of the roommates (I'd been contacted by and dealt exclusively with the other roommate, prior to & after we all met). He's completely ignored me ever since I moved in, seems annoyed by me even being here, and gives only a quick, dismissive "Hello" when we cross paths (which thankfully hasn't been often) that seems very fake and forced. And I heard him huffing and puffing in annoyance when I was in the kitchen the other day. And when I came home just a short while ago, he loudly closed his slightly ajar bedroom door (not quite a slam but almost), as if really annoyed.

For the life of me I don't know what I did, or possibly could have done. Maybe this is just how he is and I didn't really see the real him during our first meeting. But it's the polar opposite of how he presented himself at first. I don't know, and I don't even care at this point, because I just want out, it feels extremely negative and oppressive living here, like I have to walk on egg shells or something.

I signed a basic rental agreement with the other roommate (co-owner) . It's month-to-month, and simply states the rental & deposit amounts, and that either party must give 30 days notice to terminate the agreement. However, it was also my understanding that as a "lodger" renting a room, under CA law, they can kick you out at any time *without notice*, or maybe with a few days notice (?), *until you've lived there at least 30 days*, after which point they must give you at least 30 days notice to move our.

First, is that true? And second, does the fact that I have a signed agreement which stipulates 30 days notice trump the state law that says you must be living somewhere minimum 30 days before you're entitled to at least 30 days notice to move out? Do I understand the relevant laws correctly?

I'm already looking for a new place, but want to make sure that I understand the legal landscape regardless.

PS - The other roommate has been nothing but accommodating and pleasant. No issues there. It's his friend who's the issue.

Never "rent" a room in a home.

If you must rent your living space, rent an apartment or hotel room.

Forget about what went wrong, why he/she dislikes you, focus on leaving the uncomfortable environment. The environment of uncomfortability is but a predictor of what is yet to come.

Simply focus on getting gone, move on, don't look back.

Getting vibes and social attention from your landlords and other tenants is not a right under law.

Your understanding of the law is wrong. The notice here that they must give you is based on whatever your monthly rent period is. Since you have a pretty clear monthly tenancy, they have to give you 30 days.

Living there "30 days" doesn't apply to lodgers, you're conflating the rules that distinguished hotel guests from tenants.

I'm not clear what you are asking. If you intend to move, give your month notice or else you'll owe them another month's rent after you do vacate.

Getting vibes and social attention from your landlords and other tenants is not a right under law.

Your understanding of the law is wrong. The notice here that they must give you is based on whatever your monthly rent period is. Since you have a pretty clear monthly tenancy, they have to give you 30 days.

Living there "30 days" doesn't apply to lodgers, you're conflating the rules that distinguished hotel guests from tenants.

I'm not clear what you are asking. If you intend to move, give your month notice or else you'll owe them another month's rent after you do vacate.
Lol I'm not sure what you thought. I don't need "social attention" from anyone. You possibly misread. But what absolutely is my right is to live in a hostility-free environment. By your response it seems you've never had to have a roommate before.

But what absolutely is my right is to live in a hostility-free environment.
No, that's not any sort of "absolute" right. What you perceive as hostility may simply be someone who doesn't care to be around you. Get thicker skin.

very possible said co-owner didn't fully agree to take on a 3rd roommate and for some reason was forced into agreeing and is going to make it as uncomfortable for you as they can to get you to leave.

Back