What indicates a federal agent?

For me, until I read this thread, I never knew that some were concerned about fringe on our flag.

In the words of Al Jolson "You ain't seen nothing yet."

"To require a citizen to self-assess a direct tax involuntarily (by filling out a Form 1040) is a violation of the 13th Amendment (prohibition against "involuntary servitude")"

That's just one piece of nonsense in an article that starts with:

"In this article, we will explore the evidence that indicates that the vast majority of Americans do not lawfully owe income taxes."

Income Tax Is Voluntary (truthsetsusfree.com)

"In this article, we will explore the evidence that indicates that the vast majority of Americans do not lawfully owe income taxes."

Sadly I can conclude, our world, not just our nation; is over populated with idiots, scammers, crooks, shysters, perverts, and all other manner of uncouth, poorly informed, mouth breathers.

I suddenly recall the "Jukes and Kallikaks".

Not many people remember it now, but biologists used to like the idea of eugenics, improving humans by controlling who is allowed to reproduce. In that whole muddle the Jukes and Kallikaks were iconic.

In 9th grade biology our textbooks had a chapter on genetics. Mendel and all that. I was already a fledgling genealogist. I loved the little charts that illustrated dominant and recessive genes. That's when I assimilated the convention that squares on the charts represent men, and circles represent women.

Source: Michelle Mischke, MIT OpenCourseWare

Jukes and Kallikaks

Jean Webster, a great-niece of Mark Twain's, published a book around 1915 or so that referenced the Jukes and the Kallikacks. As I collect children's books from that era, I thus came to know about them as well. (I'm still a few years younger than Jack. Not many, but a few.)

I must comment on this.

If you read these various threads regularly, no matter what you know, you'll learn something new.

For me, until I read this thread, I never knew that some were concerned about fringe on our flag.

Thanks to those who offer these little nuggets of knowledge.

When I was an officer for the IRS a few of the taxpayers I investigated were among those who made a big deal over the fringe on the flag (or lack thereof) and assigned great meaning to it. Trying to explain the law to those folks was like banging my head against the steel hull of a navy warship. Where that idea about the fringe on the flag originated is beyond me. I did research the case law and other sources to see if I could find out what motivated their fringe concern (if you'll pardon the pun) and came up empty. The next thing they might jump on is what color the judge's coffee mug on the bench supposedly means. :rolleyes:

When I was an officer for the IRS a few of the taxpayers I investigated were among those who made a big deal over the fringe on the flag (or lack thereof) and assigned great meaning to it. Trying to explain the law to those folks was like banging my head against the steel hull of a navy warship. Where that idea about the fringe on the flag originated is beyond me. I did research the case law and other sources to see if I could find out what motivated their fringe concern (if you'll pardon the pun) and came up empty. The next thing they might jump on is what color the judge's coffee mug on the bench supposedly means. :rolleyes:
Oh, there you go...bring Admiralty Law into the mix!

In the words of Al Jolson "You ain't seen nothing yet."

"To require a citizen to self-assess a direct tax involuntarily (by filling out a Form 1040) is a violation of the 13th Amendment (prohibition against "involuntary servitude")"

Income Tax Is Voluntary (truthsetsusfree.com)

Yep, that's exactly the type of thing these folks would throw at me when I went out to collect the tax they owed. I'd explain to them why their arguments didn't work, they'd not believe it, and even when I seized their bank account, car, house or whatever they'd still bleat the same garbage, claiming they'd sue over the seizure. Few of them actually followed through and sued. I think deep down they knew their claims weren't going to hold up in court. All of the ones that did go to court lost. Shocking, I know. :rolleyes:

These anti-tax and anti-government groups are nothing new. They've been around for decades, still using the same old tired lines that never work.

Oh, there you go...bring Admiralty Law into the mix!

You caught the subtle allusion to that in my post. :D The arguments they'd make over admirality law was another favorite, and often combined with the flag fringe argument. There were also the arguments that paying tax was voluntary and that by filing a federal tax return they were submitting to be slaves of the federal government. Or one of my favorites, that the federal government's taxing power only extended to people living in terriorities of and possessions of the U.S. Thus, since they lived in a state, they were not subject to federal taxation. They somehow missed the reference to the states in the taxing clause of the Constitution. Or more likely, they had never read the constitution themselves and were swallowing whatever line some tax protest group was feeding them.

Last edited:
Back