What happens next

Sensorymama

Jurisdiction
Virginia
So to make a long story as short as can be:

Went to JD court filed a petition for custody and support. Soon to be exhusband stopped paying child support because he lost his job. He felt as if he was paying me too much. I pay $644 month for daycare. He was paying half and then giving me $350 month child support. Judge ordered mediation. They offered me $300 month total no half of daycare. He's been on unployment for 3 1/2 months he's 35 lives with his dad no bedroom nor bed for our son. I didn't agree in mediation. All of my money goes to rent bills utilities I live paycheck to paycheck and I work for a doctor's office. I make $1200 a month. I can't afford a lawyer. I need to know what's gonna happen if I go to court to fight this. He was fired because he was late 3 times but they still gave him unemployment because they felt bad because he cried.

Not much more you can do, even if you hired the greatest lawyer in the USA.

He'll eventually accumulate thousands of dollars in unpaid chid support.

His various state licenses coud be suspended, his income tax returns will be confiscated by the IRS, and he'll continue to be poor.

No one, not even the most powerful government agencies can squeeze blood out of a rock.

You will eventually get a few dollars trickling in from his confiscated tax refunds, now and then.

There are millions of single parents in your boat.

Millions of dollars are owed, and both parties will eventually die, the money remaining unpaid and uncollected.

All you can is begin planning to do the best you can for your child.

Yes, it's sad, but that's the truth.

If the unemployed deadbeat does get a job, the state will try to collect whatever can be collected.

You'll get tat money, but I wouldn't pan my budget on him sending you any money.

If he does, save it for the times he will repeat his cycle of unemployment.

This is the VA state agency that is supposed to assist singe parents TRYING to collect unpaid child support:
Virginia Departments of Social Services
Virginia Departments of Social Services
MyChildSupport | Welcome to MyChildSupport

So there is no point in me getting a lawyer then?

Not unless you want to throw your money away.

In this case, paying a lawyer won't do anything MORE for you, than having the state do it for FREE (for you).

The state and the lawyer will both see to he gets called back into court for a child support hearing.

The problem you have is what many single parents face, the other parent won't work, can't work, or is working under the table.

There's no legal way to force a person to work.

Some people are selfish, caring more about themselves than their children.

My ex husband has paid a total of $275 in child support since the divorce was finalized in Sept. He owes me $800+ alone. He has three other kids - he is behind $10000+ for all four kids. He hasn't had a job since February. Oh wait - allegedly he starts working a temp job tomorrow which changed from starting Sunday. And he applied at his old job (where my dad works too which is the only reason I found out). But he's on trial too soo...yeah.

He also is supposed to pay half of daycare (which half would be $370 a month) and half unreimbursed medial. Luckily my daughter's PCM got prior authorizations for the two meds left that had copays so I don't have to pay anything medical since insurance covers it all and she has Medicaid. But the daycare would be nice to get help but I don't hold my breath as he owes me money personally as well.

Everyone's right. There's nothing to fight for. When he has money, you'll get some. When he doesn't, you won't. Don't plan on him sending money. If you get it cool.

I was going to waive child support but I thought well he will have to pay it someday and if she's an adult when he does, I give it to her.

Back