We Be the Powerful Rutgers University Overlords & We Ban UNVAXXED VERMIN Even Virtual Varmints!

army judge

Super Moderator
A New Jersey student has said he is barred from taking classes at Rutgers University because he has not been vaccinated — even though he is only studying virtually from home.

Logan Hollar, 22, told NJ.com that he largely ignored the school's COVID mandate "because all my classes were remote" from his Sandyston home, some 70 miles from Rutgers' campus in New Brunswick.

But he was locked out of his Rutgers email and related accounts when he went to pay his tuition at the end of last month — and was told that he needed to be vaccinated even though he has no plans to attend in person.

Hollar has now been forced to miss classes that started Sept. 1 — and has been warned it could be weeks before a decision is reached on his application for an exemption to the vaccine mandate, he said.

"I'll probably have to transfer to a different university," Hollar told NJ.com, saying he knows of at least one other student in the same position.

"I find it concerning for the vaccine to be pushed by the university rather than my doctor," he told the outlet.

"If someone wants to be vaccinated, that's fine with me, but I don't think they should be pushed," he insisted, saying he doesn't "find COVID to be scary" because he is healthy and "not in an at-risk age group."

"I don't care if I have access to campus. I don't need to be there. They could ban me. I just want to be left alone," he said.

Hollar's stepfather, Keith Williams — who has been vaccinated — told the outlet he is "dumbfounded" at Rutgers' stance.

"I believe in science, I believe in vaccines, but I am highly confident that COVID-19 and variants do not travel through computer monitors by taking online classes," Williams told NJ.com.

"He chose to remove himself from an on-campus experience so he would not need to be vaccinated," Williams said.

"Now to be removed and shut down from his Rutgers email and online classes during the start of his senior year seems a bit crazy."

Rutgers spokeswoman Dory Devlin insisted that the university has "provided comprehensive information and direction to students to meet vaccine requirements through several communications channels."

She noted that Rutgers' policy differentiates between a "fully online degree-granting program" and "classes that are fully remote" but part of a course where other students are on campus, as in Hollar's case.

Devlin told the site that staff "continue to work" helping students apply for waiver requests for medical or religious reasons — while conceding they "should expect a two-to four-week turnaround, during which time they will not have access to university systems."

"Once it is processed and verified, students are allowed access to university systems," she said.

Rutgers bars unvaccinated student from attending virtual classes

I don't have much sympathy for the student in this instance. If the classes he signed up for allow him to take the classes in person then the school is justified in the rule even if he never plans to step foot on campus himself. Large institutions need to have rules that they can easily apply, and that often means that in some instances the rule either ends up over or under inclusive. So if you want to participate in the classes where that rule exists, you either follow the rule or you don't participate. I've had to make choices like that in my life, and this kid is learning about those kinds of choices now. This won't be the last time he has to do that, I'm sure.

And who needs a nanny? Children who don't know enough to take care of themselves.

But nanny services aren't what a school needs to be providing. But it isn't like the major colleges are doing much more than being liberal indoctrination centers anyway.

Apparently they do need to provide that service. Too many parents today don't teach their kids any responsibility or common sense. They are too interested in being friends to their kids than actual parents.

And those that do teach their children about responsibility and common sense see their work countered by leftist teachers.

And those that do teach their children about responsibility and common sense see their work countered by leftist teachers.

Responsibility and common sense are not left or right political characteristics. I see just as many conservative parents who fail teaching their kids those things as I do liberal parents, after all.

Amazing it is that both my children are socially/personally responsible, pack full of common sense and were educated in Massachusetts (for the most part, lil'blu had two years of high school here in Nevada). Neither of them drink, drug or smoke. Both of them treat their bodies with respect. Both of them wouldn't even consider endangering others because they are too selfish to wear a freaking mask.
Frankly most everyone in my family is like this...except those who are republican. Curious that.

Responsibility and common sense are not left or right political characteristics. I see just as many conservative parents who fail teaching their kids those things as I do liberal parents, after all.

The left doesn't support personal responsibility. They are all about the state taking care of you. Common sense just isn't that common, especially among liberals.

Common sense just isn't that common, especially among liberals.

From what I see, on the whole conservatives have no more common sense than liberals. For example, it tends to be conservatives who buy into the antivax, Qnon, and similar conspiracy garbage; those folks show no common sense at all. They seem to buy into whatever is fed to them. I'm mostly conservative myself and yet I can easily see how stupid some who claim to be conservatives are. I won't cut them slack just because they hold some conservative values. One of the big reasons this country is starting to slip behind other advanced nations is that we have a whole lot of people of all political stripes who simply don't use the brains that God gave them.

How many years have you known me? Are you really going to claim that I don't preach personal responsibility?

Believing that there ought to be a safety net for those people who, for one reason or another, are unable to otherwise obtain the basic necessities is a far cry from "not supporting" personal responsibility. It is possible to support both.

How many years have you known me? Are you really going to claim that I don't preach personal responsibility?

Believing that there ought to be a safety net for those people who, for one reason or another, are unable to otherwise obtain the basic necessities is a far cry from "not supporting" personal responsibility. It is possible to support both.

It has become WAY more than a safety net. I'd call it more of a safety web because when it catches many people they are stuck in it.

Back