Voided Summons now wants to come to my house and reissue

D

Dipsy

Jurisdiction
Maine
Summons for driving while suspended - for failure to produce proof of insurance. Cop voided Summons - I told him I thought I had taken care of it. Now 5 days later he calls me up and wants to come to my house (I live outside his jurisdiction) and give me another Summons because he says I was lying to him.

I thought I had taken care of it.

You "thought" you did, but maybe you didn't, or maybe you didn't do it properly. Have you confirmed that you took care of it? Got paper work showing you took care of it? Or did you just blow it off because he voided the ticket?

Now 5 days later he calls me up and wants to come to my house (I live outside his jurisdiction) and give me another Summons because he says I was lying to him.

Let him come. You've got no choice. He'll get you written up one way or the other. Might as well be cooperative. Meantime, make sure you did "take care of it" and get paperwork to show him when he shows up.

Summons for driving while suspended - for failure to produce proof of insurance. Cop voided Summons - I told him I thought I had taken care of it. Now 5 days later he calls me up and wants to come to my house (I live outside his jurisdiction) and give me another Summons because he says I was lying to him.

Jurisdiction doesn't matter in this instance.
Moving on...
You can refuse to cooperate.
However, when you choose the "refuse to cooperate option", the officer will simply seek a warrant for your arrest.
In addition, you can expect an "obstruction" charge to be added.
Good luck.

I'm not sure what the "cop voided the summons" actually means. If he started writing out a ticket and then stopped pending review then all it means is that he voided the summons number so it wouldn't be used. I think you hoped it meant that he dismissed your case by voiding the summons he began to write. I don't know any rule that requires the summons to be issued at the same time as the offense. You don't have to make it easy for them to serve you but I don't know what the repercussions are in the case of a traffic ticket in your state.

Back