Visitation and unwed couples

Jurisdiction
Alabama
Once a couple marries, is there a time frame that must pass before the couple can cohabitate with the children present? Based on generic decrees, no unwed partners of the opposite sex may spend the night with the children present.

OP wants the newlyweds to be able to live in the same house. One of the newlyweds has children from a prior marriage and there is an order in place that the OP is calling a "generic order" which is, basically, a no paramour order.

On the face of it, it would appear that spouses are not "unwed partners", so the ruling would not apply in that case, however the person to whom the order applies may want to discuss this with an attorney just to cover all the bases.

Once a couple marries, is there a time frame that must pass before the couple can cohabitate with the children present?

I don't understand the question. Are you saying that one of the two has children from a prior relationship? Alabama is a little backwards with stuff like this, but I don't know any state that prohibits cohabitation in the presence of children from a prior relationship - whether or not the couple is married. Of course, it's possible that the custody/visitation order may contain something on this subject.

Based on generic decrees, no unwed partners of the opposite sex may spend the night with the children present.

I have no idea what the reference to "generic decrees" means, but a married couple is obviously not "unwed."

I don't understand the question. Are you saying that one of the two has children from a prior relationship? Alabama is a little backwards with stuff like this, but I don't know any state that prohibits cohabitation in the presence of children from a prior relationship - whether or not the couple is married. Of course, it's possible that the custody/visitation order may contain something on this subject.

I have no idea what the reference to "generic decrees" means, but a married couple is obviously not "unwed."
That language was common in divorce decrees in Virginia where I used to practice, but I haven't seen the language used in over 35-40 years.

Once a couple marries, is there a time frame that must pass before the couple can cohabitate with the children present? Based on generic decrees, no unwed partners of the opposite sex may spend the night with the children present.

Do you have a custody order that says "no unwed partners of the opposite sex may spend the night with children present?" What if one of the parents enters into a same sex relationship...it's weird that was ever even allowed in custody orders. But I'm not sure that's really "generic" in custody orders. I have always heard that's something specific added.

If your custody orders says no unwed partners, then it doesn't apply to the parent who has no remarried. They are "wedded" to their partner. So the spouse can spend the night in their home when children are there. I can't even believe either of you agreed on that stipulation to your custody order...

Do you have a custody order that says "no unwed partners of the opposite sex may spend the night with children present?" What if one of the parents enters into a same sex relationship...it's weird that was ever even allowed in custody orders. But I'm not sure that's really "generic" in custody orders. I have always heard that's something specific added.

If your custody orders says no unwed partners, then it doesn't apply to the parent who has no remarried. They are "wedded" to their partner. So the spouse can spend the night in their home when children are there. I can't even believe either of you agreed on that stipulation to your custody order...
It's Alabama...and a no paramour order is not uncommon in southern states.

Christopher...I see you are here perusing the thread...Could you please answer the questions asked?

Back