Virtual items stolen ,customer support refuses to help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valencio

Jurisdiction
New York
I have all the proof showing that my account was broken into , but they still refuse to give me my items back after opening multiple support tickets. I only get the same copy and paste messages from their support team members.(terrible support) There is a restoration system in place as well , my one time restoration was never used and they still refuse to give me my items back.It is also said that ''Unless required by law'' they won't 100% give the items back. Do you guys have any clue what they mean by that? All the help is appreciated.

I have all the proof showing that my account was broken into , but they still refuse to give me my items back after opening multiple support tickets. I only get the same copy and paste messages from their support team members.(terrible support) There is a restoration system in place as well , my one time restoration was never used and they still refuse to give me my items back.It is also said that ''Unless required by law'' they won't 100% give the items back. Do you guys have any clue what they mean by that? All the help is appreciated.
I suspect that they mean that they will only restore the items if a law (or court-order) requires them to do so.
Have you read the terms and conditions of the game you are playing? I can practically guarantee that you have no leverage in this matter.

I suspect this is a computer gaming issue. If so, all the major game publishers include in their terms of service (TOS) that you don't own the virtual items you earn or pay for in the game and that don't own your copy of the copy but merely have a license to use the game under the conditions spelled out in the TOS. As a result, a lawsuit against the game publisher to get back those items isn't likely to be successful. It's even less likely if you did anything to facilitate the wrongful access to the account, like sharing your passwords or leaving them where others can see them, using weak passwords, etc. Also, if you were given the chance to use more extensive security like using authenticators or two part verification, that also make you more vulnerable. Part of the responsibility to secure the game account falls on the user. Players who have simple passwords that they've not changed in years are ripe candidates to get targeted by crooks who will clean out everything your characters have in the game that might be converted to real currency. If you were negligent in securing your account, the game company is not likely to be very sympathetic and you'll likely find you won't get all those items back. You may have to earn/pay for them all over again if you want them. I wish I could give you happier news, but as a long time gamer myself, I've seen a lot of players have this problem and with some publishers you just won't get anywhere trying to get the stuff back. What game was it and how did the person get access?

If this is not a gaming issue, you'll need to explain what these virtual items are and what kind of market/product was involved (e.g. crypto currency, or whatever) as the rules may be different for other types of online activity.

I have all the proof showing that my account was broken into

What sort of account? What sort of "proof"?

but they still refuse to give me my items back after opening multiple support tickets.

Who are "they"?

It is also said that ''Unless required by law'' they won't 100% give the items back.

Said by whom? Said where?

Do you guys have any clue what they mean by that?

The prior sentence in your post is easily understood by anyone with a basic understanding of English, so I'm not sure what's not to understand. That said, the implication seems to be that "they" will [some percentage less than 100] give the items back. Is that the case? If so, what is that lesser percentage?

By the way...is this you (just in a different location)?

What sort of account? What sort of "proof"?

Who are "they"?

Said by whom? Said where?

The prior sentence in your post is easily understood by anyone with a basic understanding of English, so I'm not sure what's not to understand. That said, the implication seems to be that "they" will [some percentage less than 100] give the items back. Is that the case? If so, what is that lesser percentage?

:D:D:D

As an active WoW player myself, that clip was hilarious. I'd not seen it before, but I would have told Sheldon (who should have already known) about the Blizzard authenticators that would have pretty much ensured no one else would get into his account. :D And no, there isn't a rideable ostrich mount in the game, but there are over 839 other mounts to get, of which I have just under 400. And that's after nearly 20 years of casual play. This game can suck up all your time if you're not careful. Since I practice law and do other things I haven't the time to go out and get all the mounts (not to mention all the pets, armor appearances, etc,) that one can collect. I'd have to be one of those guys who plays 24/7 in his parents' basement to collect all that stuff. But if it was WoW that the OP got hacked, I can relate and feel his pain. It wouldn't change my earlier answer. I've read the Blizzard TOS, and it's very clear that he wouldn't be able to force the company to restore all his stuff. Sometimes they do for good customer service, but there is no legal obligation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back