Union Harrasment

piercejpierce

Jurisdiction
Kentucky
What can we do about a union harassing employees? Everyday when we come in or leave work these people harass us about starting a Union, we tell them no but they continue on. sometimes they are at the light and run up to your car banging on the window while your at a stop light. everyone is tired on these people to the point we took a online survey and 70% said no to union 23% said yes and the others are undecided. Can we group together to have them disbanded or something?

The reason we dont want it is 1) harassment by them 2) our benefit are extremely good, better than most unions out there 3) we have worker representation at the company for disciplinary actions.

What can we do about a union harassing employees? Everyday when we come in or leave work these people harass us about starting a Union,

Contradiction there. First you say a union is harassing employees, implying that there is a union already in existence. Then you say it's about starting a union, implying that there is no union yet in existence.

Which is it.

And who are those people? Are they fellow employees or non-employees?

Can we group together to have them disbanded or something?

You can't force them to disband. But there are things you can do to get them to back off. If they are doing this stuff on private property have the property owner tell them to get off the property, that they are barred from returning, if they do they'll be cited for trespass.

Things like banging on your car can be criminal, or at least a civil trespass. You might want to get some cell phone video of the people doing this stuff and then go to the police.

I also suggest you contact the officers of the union these people claim to represent and complain to them about.

Also, tell the people that are causing these problems that what they are doing is counter-productive. Their tactics are turning people against unions, not wanting to join them. Tell that to the union officials, too. I think once they realize their tactics are back firing they'll back off.

Finally, if they keep up hitting your car and getting in your face yelling stuff, see a lawyer about a restraining order that requires them to stay a certain distance, like 500 feet, from you so that there won't be any confrontations that lead to violence.

You can't force them to disband. But there are things you can do to get them to back off. If they are doing this stuff on private property have the property owner tell them to get off the property, that they are barred from returning, if they do they'll be cited for trespass.

Things like banging on your car can be criminal, or at least a civil trespass. You might want to get some cell phone video of the people doing this stuff and then go to the police.

I also suggest you contact the officers of the union these people claim to represent and complain to them about.

Also, tell the people that are causing these problems that what they are doing is counter-productive. Their tactics are turning people against unions, not wanting to join them. Tell that to the union officials, too. I think once they realize their tactics are back firing they'll back off.

Finally, if they keep up hitting your car and getting in your face yelling stuff, see a lawyer about a restraining order that requires them to stay a certain distance, like 500 feet, from you so that there won't be any confrontations that lead to violence.

Thank you for the information

Good idea but I'd suggest getting a front/rear dash cam system instead of trying to use a cell phone and take video while driving.

Good idea but I'd suggest getting a front/rear dash cam system instead of trying to use a cell phone and take video while driving.

That's a good idea, but most of those systems I've see show mostly what is ahead or behind the car and would not show someone standing on the side banging on it.

You have a cell phone with a camera, right?
LOL yes and it's a fair PITA to use while I'm standing still, never mind while I drive. Plus it's usually in the back seat or buried in my purse. I wear a headset while driving so I can be hands-free if I get a call, I just hit a button on the headset and talk.

I hear that, trust me. I was in a fender-bender last night (I was a passenger). The driver asked me to call the police because the guy in the other car was being abusive; by the time I was able to reach my phone in my computer bag in the back of the jeep, everyone had calmed down, insurance information had been exchanged, photos had been taken (which will clearly show that my friend was in the right and the other guy was at fault) and the whole incident was more or less over.

So asking another question related to this same issue. Under section 7-8 of the nlrb it say we have the right to refrain from forming a union. So the question is if I tell them to their face or writing that I don't want to join the union and or hear about the union and I feel it is harassment , can it get them to stop approaching me. Secondly can the management do anything if you or a group of ppl come to them and inform them they feel harassed but the ppl trying to form the union.

So asking another question related to this same issue. Under section 7-8 of the nlrb it say we have the right to refrain from forming a union. So the question is if I tell them to their face or writing that I don't want to join the union and or hear about the union and I feel it is harassment , can it get them to stop approaching me.

Probably not.

But, remain of good cheer, citizen.
Even if the thugs establish their union within your workplace, you can't be forced to join.

I fact, you won't even be forced to pay union dues.

However, you'll receive whatever the thugs achieve, without paying one penny, or spending anytime walking a picket line.

You will need to do nothing more if the thugs succeed, to reap the fruits of the thugs' labors.

When a person or a group pf people want to make a point, IGNORING him/her/it/them is the easiest approach to take.

For example, place earpods in BOTH ears, or a headphone over BOTH ears.

When approached by anonymous zealots, you'll be unable to hear their spiel, because you'll have the Stones, Dells, Beetles, Meatloaf, Temptations, etc.. blaring away into your hearing canal.

Don't engage a zealot.
Engaging one is futile, as it only stimulates, excites, annoys, or angers the critter.

Don't look directly into the eyes of the beast, either.
That could potentially anger the critter, possibly the entire pack/herd/tribe!!!

Once angered, the excited beasts could cause you GREAT BODILY harm.

=================================

KY is a right to work state.

Right to Work Laws
Nearly 30 states have "right-to-work" laws either in their state constitution or statutory code, with many in these laws being passed in the past few years. Generally, these statutes prohibit employers from requiring union membership, or the payment of union dues, as a prerequisite to employees in getting and keeping a job.

Right to Work Statutes in Kentucky
Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin signed House Bill 1 into law in early 2017, making Kentucky the 27th right to work state.

Kentucky Revised Statutes 336.130: Kentucky HB1 | 2017 | Regular Session

Code Section

Kentucky Revised Statutes 336.130
Policy on Union Membership, Organization, etc.

Kentucky Revised Statutes to the contrary, no employee shall be required, as a condition of employment or continuation of employment, to:
Become or remain a member of a labor organization [Note: this is already enforced under federal labor law];
Pay any dues, fees, assessments, or other similar charges of any kind or amount to a labor organization; or
Pay to any charity or other third party, in lieu of these payments, any amount equivalent to or pro rata portion of dues, fees, assessments, or other charges required of a labor organization.
Prohibited Activity

May not compel non-union employees at unionized workplaces to pay monthly dues to cover union activities.
Penalties

The secretary of the Labor Cabinet or his or her representative shall investigate complaints of violations or threatened violations of subsection (3) of this section and may initiate enforcement of a criminal penalty by causing a complaint to be filed with the appropriate local prosecutor and ensure effective enforcement (Class A misdemeanor).

What Right-to-Work Laws Do
Right-to-work laws govern the relationship between unions, employees, and employers prohibiting employers or unions from requiring existing employees to join a union or pay union dues. Employers are also not allowed to exclude non-union workers from the hiring process. Many Southern states have long had right-to-work laws, with Kentucky being a notable pro-union holdout.

Although many Northern and Midwestern states have added their own right-to-work statutes in recent years, the overall impact of the laws on wages, union membership, and collective bargaining agreements has yet to be accurately determined. Naturally, unions have almost universally opposed right-to-work laws while most business interests and chambers of commerce have lobbied heavily in their favor.

Kentucky Right to Work Laws: Related Resources
Once a union stronghold, Kentucky's so-called right to work law has major implications for the future of labor organizing in the state. You can contact a Kentucky labor attorney in your area if you would like legal advice regarding a union or employment matter. You can also visit FindLaw's Employee Rights Center https://www.findlaw.com/employment.html for additional articles and information on this topic.

https://www.findlaw.com/state/kentucky-law/kentucky-right-to-work-laws.html

Kentucky High Court Upholds Right-to-Work Law

Is Kentucky a Right-to-Work State? | Abney Law

if I tell them to their face or writing that I don't want to join the union and or hear about the union and I feel it is harassment , can it get them to stop approaching me.

No one here has any possible way of knowing how some unknown people might react if you tell them something.

can the management do anything if you or a group of ppl come to them and inform them they feel harassed but the ppl trying to form the union.

Can it happen? Sure. Would it be legal? Depends on what it is.

Back