Unfair Seat belt ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeanieS

Recently I was issued a ticket for not wearing my seat belt but I don't think it was a fair ticket under the circumstances. I was being picked up by a friend. When I got in the car I went ahead and began putting on my seat belt but my friend in the meantime had already begun to drive the car again. The police officer pulled us over and issued me a ticket after I had my seat belt on but said that he saw me putting it on while the car was already in motion which is illegal....but how am I suppose to control when the car moves or not since I'm a passenger? In my opinion I did the right thing by putting my seat belt on as soon as I got in the car. Is this a fair ticket? Is there anywhere that I can go and actually find the written law regarding this? I plan to go to court and argue this ticket...any advice?
Thanks,
Jeanie

Only advice I would have is tell the judge just what you stated here and hope it gets thrown out. Not sure what state you live in or the cost of the citation but in this state you do not get any points and the first offense is 15 bucks so it would be cheaper to pay it than take the day off work. In this state if the vehicle is in motion you can get a citation (unless you are in a private parking lot). So you would have enough time to get into the vehicle and the driver to drive through the lot before you had to have it on.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back