Personal Bankruptcy U.S. trustee hired a trial lawyer

conbearc

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I used the U.S. Trustee hotline to report fraudulent activity regarding a chapter 13 bankruptcy case. It appears action may be taken because the U.S. Trustee has now become involved in the case and has hired a trial lawyer (as per docket entry on PACER). It's been almost a month since the lawyer was hired, but there has been no new activity on the docket indicating the fraud is being addressed. What is likely going on?

I used the U.S. Trustee hotline to report fraudulent activity regarding a chapter 13 bankruptcy case. It appears action may be taken because the U.S. Trustee has now become involved in the case and has hired a trial lawyer (as per docket entry on PACER). It's been almost a month since the lawyer was hired, but there has been no new activity on the docket indicating the fraud is being addressed. What is likely going on?
An investigation, perhaps.

What is likely going on?

It's impossible to know. Court filings are only a small part of what goes on in litigation. They are important parts of the litigation, of course, but there is a lot to do behind the scenes to prepare each filing and prepare for each hearing or trial. At this stage the lawyer will be gathering the information needed to determine what to put into the complaint. The complaint is the foundation of a lawsuit, and a solid complaint makes the things that follow go much more smoothly. I have no idea what information the lawyer already has and how much more is needed, nor do I have any idea of what the issues are. If there is a lot going on then the complaint is likely to be long, and that takes more time to prepare.

I've no problem with people reporting known fraud. That's not being a "snitch" but rather protecting those who were victims of it or who might be victims of it in the future. Minding your business is a good principle in many instances, but I draw the line at serious crime. And fraud is in that category.

The UST did not "hire" an attorney. Rather, the UST assigned the case to an attorney in his/her office. That attorney filed a Notice of Appearance. While it is quite possible that this was the result of your inquiry, it may have nothing to do with it.

Is the debtor represented by an attorney? If "yes", the UST attorney will be in communication with him/her. Assuming the communication deals with your issue, the two will talk. If need be, the debtor will supply documentation either informally or by way of a Rule 2004 request. If the debtor does not have an attorney, the UST attorney will communicate directly with the debtor and might recommend that he/she hires an attorney.

How long will it take to complete whatever investigation may be going on? Your guess is as good as anyone's. If the UST believes the investigation warrants more formal pleadings you will see them on the docket.

Des.

Cute patch. You'd probably snitch too, though, if someone screwed you out of $40,000.
Its most unfortunate and regrettable that you were bamboozled to the tune of $40,000 U$ DOLLAR$.

Alas, that would never occur with my assets.

How is that, you might wonder?

I never loan or borrow money.

I never get involved in investment schemes or scams.

I occasionally choose to gift money or assist those I love that find themselves financially challenged.

I hope you'll be able to recover most, if not all of the $40K that was misaapropriated from you. Happy-farewell-4123020773.jpg

Its most unfortunate and regrettable that you were bamboozled to the tune of $40,000 U$ DOLLAR$.

Alas, that would never occur with my assets.

How is that, you might wonder?

I never loan or borrow money.

I never get involved in investment schemes or scams.

I occasionally choose to gift money or assist those I love that find themselves financially challenged.

I hope you'll be able to recover most, if not all of the $40K that was misaapropriated from you. View attachment 4676
Thanks for those good wishes. I, too, do not loan money. Unfortunately, though, my husband was absent from class the day that lesson was being taught. Side note: I just learned today that the case will probably either be dismissed or converted to a chapter 7 (docket entry, motion by trustee).

Thanks for those good wishes. I, too, do not loan money. Unfortunately, though, my husband was absent from class the day that lesson was being taught. Side note: I just learned today that the case will probably either be dismissed or converted to a chapter 7 (docket entry, motion by trustee).
That was just one of the many lessons my mother, father, and grandparents taught me.

There's never been one day of my life that I wasn't able to apply the wisdom they passed along to this wretched human being.

Hang in there, keep fighting the good fight. Its one thing to lose, another if you give up on yourself.

Back