Trigger Words Worksheet Causes Teacher to be Terminated!

army judge

Super Moderator
Jurisdiction
Texas
Editor's note: The following story includes images with racial slurs and language some readers may find offensive. 25 News has decided to release these documents in full for greater transparency with our audience.

KILLEEN, Texas – A Killeen ISD teacher has been fired after assigning middle schoolers worksheets loaded with racial slurs and language the district called "extremely disturbing."

A district spokesperson told 25 News the fired teacher was recently hired and joined KISD on Aug. 15, 2022.

"Killeen ISD immediately launched an investigation upon learning of an appalling and extremely disturbing assignment distributed by a now-former Rancier Middle School teacher," Dr. John Craft, the district's superintendent, said in a letter on Thursday sent to parents. "There is no argument to condone such an offensive gesture, and we deeply regret the assignment was ever created and distributed to even a small group of students."

The assignment appears to have been created Jan. 11 and included word scrambles and searches rife with epithets titled, "Trigger Words Scramble."

The worksheets tasked students with guessing words based on included definitions, using the slurs in a sentence, and matching slurs with colors.

Among Rancier's population of 785 students, 90 percent identify as a minority with the majority of students classified as Black and Hispanic, according to data
https://nces.ed.gov/ccd/schoolsearc...=10&Zip=76540&SchoolPageNum=3&ID=482566002879 fromm the Texas Department of Education.

Also, 71 percent of middle schoolers there are at risk of dropping out, and the state classifies Rancier students as "economically disadvantaged."

Killeen ISD is the largest school district in Central Texas and the 24th largest district in Texas. Over 45,000 students attend 31 elementary schools, 11 middle schools, 5 high schools, as well as other campuses, according to its About KISD / About KISD. website.

Many KISD parents took to social media to express outrage and bewilderment over the assignment – and how it could happen in the first place.

"We regret that this incident occurred," Craft said. "We are committed to dealing with these type of situations expeditiously."

1111.png

000.png

download-1.jpeg

download-2.jpeg

download-3.jpeg

download-4.jpeg

download-5.jpeg

download-6.jpeg

How is it possible that someone who is supposedly qualified as a teacher and therefore supposed to know what material is appropriate for young children would think for even a second that that assignment would be a good idea? It's almost like the teacher wanted to get fired. I'd hope that no other school would hire that person as a teacher given that very poor exercise in judgment. It makes me wonder how much of a background check Killeen TX schools did on this person. I'd bet not a whole lot.

I don't see any educational value in that worksheet.

By the way, my wife retired as a high school principal in that district (KISD) with 40 years service as an EDUCATOR, 15 of those years she worked for DODEA Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) .

According to her, worksheets aren't to be used to keep students busy.

The "teacher" will likely have her/his teaching certificate suspended, maybe revoked with a lifetime ban.

According to her, worksheets aren't to be used to keep students busy.

I agree, but when I was in elementary school I had one teacher near retirement who did exactly that sort of thing. She just didn't care if the kids learned anything and was just waiting out her time to punch her retirement card. Fortunately the teacher I had the following year was excellent and helped me and others from that class catch up.

I think most teachers really do want to do a good job, and we need school systems to provide them the tools and time they need to do that. Educating kids is one of the most important things government does, and I'm happy to pay taxes to support a good education system (so long as they don't overspend on things they don't need). Most of the teachers I had from kindergarten to post graduate college classes were pretty good as educators and certainly knew their academic stuff. My only complaint about a few of those teachers is that they seriously lacked patience.

The "teacher" will likely have her/his teaching certificate suspended, maybe revoked with a lifetime ban.

For the sake of any future kids that might otherwise end up being subjected to her brand of "teaching" I hope the teacher does get the certificate permanently revoked. Hopefully the next teacher those kids get are as dedicated as your wife has been to the mission of education.

For the sake of any future kids that might otherwise end up being subjected to her brand of "teaching" I hope the teacher does get the certificate permanently revoked. Hopefully the next teacher those kids get are as dedicated as your wife has been to the mission of education.

Thank you.

She knows and understands just how valuable all education and/or training is to every US Citizen.

Back