Tax Preparers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PMurphy

I have had my taxes done by a company such as Jackson Hewitt for several years, and I have just received notice that there was a city tax that had been overlooked for two seperate years '99 &'01. I of course now have interest and penalties on top of the original amount that I was not aware I owed. I have had friends tell me that the tax preparer is liable since they neglected to file the proper forms. Is this true?

I would certainly think so but you have to speak to them. It is possible that it might not be owed if there was a bona fide position that was taken by your accountants as to why you do not owe the tax. If the company was negligent in its preparation of the tax, then I would think that you may have a case for them to pay for the penalties at the very least.

Originally posted by PMurphy
I have had my taxes done by a company such as Jackson Hewitt for several years, and I have just received notice that there was a city tax that had been overlooked for two seperate years '99 &'01. I of course now have interest and penalties on top of the original amount that I was not aware I owed. I have had friends tell me that the tax preparer is liable since they neglected to file the proper forms. Is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back