Storage unit fire

MonteKatz

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
A storage facility in New Jersey recently had a fire in one of its buildings. My storage unit is located in an altogether different building. However, everything is roped off and the facility has a sign posted stating no one will be allowed to access the property.

I must get access to some of my stuff in the next week or so. The gate permitting entry is near the burned building. The exit gate is not. They could permit temporary access through that gate, and most people wouldn't have to approach the fire scene.

Also, I got a reminder that my rental fee for the month is almost due. My stuff might be safe (I am assuming), but if they won't permit access and charge rent, it's almost like they're holding my stuff hostage.

What can I do to get to my storage unit for s short time, at least 15 minutes?

I must get access to some of my stuff in the next week or so.

In the next week or so? Well, next week brings you to the 26th. "Or so" brings you maybe out past the end of the month.

Why not just wait "a week or so" and see how this plays out.

Also, I got a reminder that my rental fee for the month is almost due. My stuff might be safe (I am assuming), but if they won't permit access and charge rent, it's almost like they're holding my stuff hostage.

No, they're not holding your stuff hostage. If you plan on withholding rent all that will happen is you lose your stuff to auction.

What were you told when you asked the manager that question? Or haven't you asked?

A storage facility in New Jersey recently had a fire in one of its buildings. My storage unit is located in an altogether different building. However, everything is roped off and the facility has a sign posted stating no one will be allowed to access the property.

I must get access to some of my stuff in the next week or so. The gate permitting entry is near the burned building. The exit gate is not. They could permit temporary access through that gate, and most people wouldn't have to approach the fire scene.

Speak to management at the storage facility about your dilemma. There is nothing else, legally speaking, that you can do that will get you access to your unit in the next week or so.

A storage facility in New Jersey recently had a fire in one of its buildings.

When was "recently"?

everything is roped off and the facility has a sign posted stating no one will be allowed to access the property.

A sign posted by whom? The facility owner? The fire department? No access until when? If the sign didn't say anything about that, did you call the facility and explain your urgent need for access and inquire? If not, why not? If so, what were you told?

it's almost like they're holding my stuff hostage.

No.

Back