Stable male figure in 16 yr old's life

Status
Not open for further replies.

magareb

I am a former para-professional who had a student in 3rd grade on a 1 to 1. We have had a relationship since 1997 that his mother as well was appreciative of. I have taken him in as one of my own taking him to family events and so forth. Over the l;ast 2 years I had not seen much of him due him going to high school and so forth, nothing bad. But since then he and his mother have had many confrontations that I have learned and now on the recommendation of her friends see wants to send him to Job Corps. I don't believe that is the right move and he has reached out to me. Speaking to the mother she's says that I can't save him this time and he is getting out of her house and ifd he doesn't go she'll let ACS take him. She is quite serious about 1 thing and that is she wants him out of her house. I asked her for guardianship over him. But if she doesn't agree what are his/my options? he does not want to go.

Unfortunately, you really do not have any options. You are not the parent of the child and have no rights. Job Core will house him and teach him a trade he may use to earn money, and he will also get his GED. If she turns him over to CPS she still has custody and he will probably live in a group home. If that happens, then you may be able to become a foster parent but I don't know how their system works and whether or not you would be able to have him as a foster child by choice. If the mother objected to his placement with you then they would probably not allow it. Alls you can do is be there to listen, but you are really pitting the child against the mother and that's not good. The child probably does not tell you everything that goes on with his mom, especially his role in their problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back