Computer Crimes, Hacking Spilling personal info about an anonymous Twitter account

Status
Not open for further replies.

legalaiu

Jurisdiction
Michigan
I have an anonymous Twitter account, and if some people who know my identity spills personal info about me like my age, living situations, etc, could this constitute a crime of any sort?

I have an anonymous Twitter account, and if some people who know my identity spills personal info about me like my age, living situations, etc, could this constitute a crime of any sort?
The act that you inquire about is called doxing (doxxing). Whether the information that was posted was readily available through public sources, social media, or individuals, it is not a crime if true. However, if the information was obtained by hacking someone's email or computer, or by other illegal means, then it may constitute a crime.

Depends on what you mean by "etc.," but no. The identity of the owner of an anonymous Twitter account is not protected information in any way. Nor is your age or whatever "living situations" (plural?) means. At worst, the disclosure of certain information by persons with a duty not to disclose might give rise to a civil lawsuit.

By the way, the answer to your question in the thread that got locked is that publicly criticizing your sister's friends would not be a crime. However, depending on exactly what you post and what happens as a result, you could get sued for defamation. Why would it potentially cost you tens of thousands of dollars to defend yourself? Because, whether you win or lose, you still have to defend yourself (or risk entry of a judgment by default), and legal fees are expensive.

By the way, the answer to your question in the thread that got locked is that publicly criticizing your sister's friends would not be a crime. However, depending on exactly what you post and what happens as a result, you could get sued for defamation. Why would it potentially cost you tens of thousands of dollars to defend yourself? Because, whether you win or lose, you still have to defend yourself (or risk entry of a judgment by default), and legal fees are expensive.
I was thinking of being careful with my words to steer clear of defamation, so that I could defend myself easily without a lawyer.

But I would love to use as strong expression as possible without crossing the line into defamation.
Words like encouraging fraud, encouraging misappropriation of money, or encouraging deception would be what I'm thinking of.

Looking at this page, Rhetorical Hyperbole
it seems like I should be ok with using those words?

The act that you inquire about is called doxing (doxxing). Whether the information that was posted was readily available through public sources, social media, or individuals, it is not a crime if true. However, if the information was obtained by hacking someone's email or computer, or by other illegal means, then it may constitute a crime.
So if I made a blog post that revealed the identity of my sister behind her anonymous Twitter account, and stated that she made such and such decision (misleading parents and leaving after the tuition is paid), adding that she was encouraged to do so by friends (with supporting evidence) would there be any thing I should be worried about legally?

So if I made a blog post that revealed the identity of my sister behind her anonymous Twitter account, and stated that she made such and such decision (misleading parents and leaving after the tuition is paid), adding that she was encouraged to do so by friends (with supporting evidence) would there be any thing I should be worried about legally?
You are not a loving sibling. You are monstrous. Hopefully your BROTHER get a RO against you.

Your other thread was locked because the content was unacceptable.

Now this thread is locked.

Come back with more of the same and you'll be banned from the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back