Shoplifting

Betty3

Jurisdiction
Connecticut
What you will get in the mail will be a civil demand letter. If you pay it, most likely no further action will be taken against you since the police were not originally called. You can read about civil demand letters here:

Civil Demand Letters, Retail Theft and Recovery

What r the chances tht I get arrested or have civil fine or r they call me on court??

Very likely none of that will happen if you pay the civil demand immediately when you get it.

Be prepared, though, it's likely to be a couple of hundred dollars.

That has nothing to do with the amount you stole. It's the punishment for doing the stealing and it's designed to convince you never to steal again because the punishment will always be more expensive than the cost of the stolen items.

Hi, I fought by LP in kohls for first time shoplifting for $30 value .LP stopped me outside of the store and ask me to go in room. Where they took my id and address and took my sign on two paper. They told me tht they will not going to call cop as I was cooperative. They will going to send me bill after 4 weeks . My question is is it possible tht I hv to go to court or jail? I m no going anymore in kohls or any kills it's band for me. But I can do online shopping as they said to me. What r the chances tht I get arrested or have civil fine or r they call me on court??

Hi I got coughs in kohls by LP for first time ever shoplifting of $30 value. No cop involved .. They told me to sign on two paper and told me tht I will get some letter in mail.
My question is do will end up to court? If I will get fine tht how much to pay? Do I hv to go to court? And what happens in this kind of case

I am a Retail Theft Consultant and answers questions like yours daily. The store, you should not have named publicly) has nothing to gain by filing a Police complaint if you pay Civil Demand. Here is some useful info on Civil Demand

A recent writing of mine - Parent Nook Forums
Civil Recovery
Hi, I fought by LP for first time shoplifting for $30 value .LP stopped me outside of the store and ask me to go in room. Where they took my id and address and took my sign on two paper. They told me tht they will not going to call cop as I was cooperative. They will going to send me bill after 4 weeks . My question is is it possible tht I hv to go to court or jail? I m no going anymore in kohls or any kills it's band for me. But I can do online shopping as they said to me. What r the chances tht I get arrested or have civil fine or r they call me on court??

Hi I got coughs by LP for first time ever shoplifting of $30 value. No cop involved .. They told me to sign on two paper and told me tht I will get some letter in mail.
My question is do will end up to court? If I will get fine tht how much to pay? Do I hv to go to court? And what happens in this kind of case

Aren't these the same questions you asked previously? Note the 3 answers above. If you pay the civil demand, you should not be arrested (& no you will not go to jail) or have to go to court. The civil demand in your case "probably" will be around $200.00. The letter will say.

I got civil demand letter of $250 today. I will going to pay it.. Tht means it's over or still they can charge me and hv to go to court? How I come to know tht they have charges on me??can I get any record from DA before they charge?? I m really worry abt the situation..

Unless the law forbids both they can. However there is no gain for retailer by filing a criminal complaint if you pay Civil Demand.

Generally if you pay the civil demand, no further action will be taken against you.

Back