Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifting at target

Mfarrel3

Jurisdiction
California
I already know that what I did was terrible no need to have to tell me or scold me even more. I had just been caught for trying to take a life proof case approximately 79 dollars for target. They pulled me into a room asked if I've ever done it before I said no he said I hate liars the asked a guy if it was me from before and the guy said no. And I was like no this is my first time. The cops were not called on me he had me sign a paper that I admitted I took the case and I was not aloud to be back to any targets. He took my license asked me how old I was I said 21 and then he let me go and told me I would be recieving a letter in the mail. Will they still want to press charges against me even though the cops were not called? He also told me the letter would ask for atleast 400 dollars. He told someone that since I had my id and that the price wasn't too expensive the there was no need for the cops. I'm still pretty nervous every though what should I expect?

I don't know why I did it it is so stupid thinking about it. It just happened yesterday and I am applying to a nursing program in August and I'm scared I just messed up my chances. Again the police were not contacted at all but I am still very worried

I'll give you a link, you read it, you decide!!!

Read what a CA licensed attorney has to say about "civil demand" letters and CA state law:

Civil Demand After a Shoplifting Arrest in C - Guides - Avvo
Nothing was damaged like the box or anything I cooperated the whole time was interim with him for maybe 5 minutes no cops called or anything so after reading I feel as if I shouldn't pay for it? Is that what you would recommend as well?

Nothing was damaged like the box or anything I cooperated the whole time was interim with him for maybe 5 minutes no cops called or anything so after reading I feel as if I shouldn't pay for it? Is that what you would recommend as well?

YOU must decide.
I would never steal.
If I did steal and received such a demand, I'd do as the licensed CA lawyer suggests.

You weren't arrested.
The police weren't called.
Stay out of those stores, especially where the bad deed was alleged to have occurred, for at least two years.
If I were you, I'd stay out of ALL that chain's stores for two years.

I don't expect this incident to impact your nursing career.
You were never charged.
No official record of the incident was ever made.
Forget this ever occurred.
Don't ever do this again, as it WILL ruin your life.
If you're seeking a career, don't break any of THEIR laws.

YOU must decide.
I would never steal.
If I did steal and received such a demand, I'd do as the licensed CA lawyer suggests.

You weren't arrested.
The police weren't called.
Stay out of those stores, especially where the bad deed was alleged to have occurred, for at least two years.
If I were you, I'd stay out of ALL that chain's stores for two years.

I don't expect this incident to impact your nursing career.
You were never charged.
No official record of the incident was ever made.
Forget this ever occurred.
Don't ever do this again, as it WILL ruin your life.
If you're seeking a career, don't break any of THEIR laws.

I understand thank you for your reply, I have never done anything bad in my life so I'm just panicking a little and was not sure if they would still try to arrest me after the incident had occurred. but I understand that the cops were not called and I should just count my blessings. Thank you again for you replies

I am a Retail Theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Its in your best interest to pay civil demand. there are several reasons why yur career choice being one. Here are two links that can help.

Civil Recovery

Back