Corporate Law Sharing intellectual property before a new business is formed

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephop

I am a functional and operational expert in the area of industrial engineering for logistics and distribution. I have been contacted by a software developer and entrepreneur who has heard of my expertise and my reputation. (I am in Georgia, and he is in California.) He wants to pick my brain and have me share with him functional details and suggestions about the kind of software he's developing. He also wants me to share information I have about his potential competitors. His goal is to develop a product that will be best-in-class from both a functional perspective and a technology perspective.

Since I've worked hard over two decades to build my own knowledge and my extensive "library" of information about these kinds of products, I hesitate sharing this information with him unless it will result in some reasonable financial benefit to me. But since he's not currently funded to hire me as an employee, or even pay me any consulting fees, I need to work out some other kind of agreement with him. I'm thinking it doesn't need to be complex, but perhaps it should be based on a percentage of his revenues, and it should include mutual non-compete and nondisclosure terms. I assume it should also have a time limit.

Neither of us can currently afford to pay for extensive legal fees to create such an agreement. Can you point me in the direction of a template that we can modify for this purpose? Or do you have any better ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help. I look forward to your comments.

With my experience, put everything in writing. Intellectual property can be stolen and it can be held in court. Make sure everything you want to protect is straight forward so that it does not leave room for interpretation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back