Shared Custody/Joint Custody

Status
Not open for further replies.

carol2610

What is the difference between joint custody and shared custody? Do I need to make an application to the court to change the type of custody from joint to shared?

What is the difference between joint custody and shared custody? Do I need to make an application to the court to change the type of custody from joint to shared?
Actually, terms don't mean much. The time you get with the kid is what matters.

But tell us, why do you think you need the term changed for the custody?

Joint and shared is bascially the same thing. That means that both parents have the ability to make decisions regarding the child. It gives both parents a little say on what goes on.

There is really no need to go to court and have it changed, unless you want to go from joint to sole, and I don't see the point in doing that either.

My ex-husband, who has residential custody, has filed a motion against me for child support. I'm not trying to shirk my responsibilities, but I have one of our two children at least 4 to 5 days a week after school, I prepare and/or buy her dinner, I purchase her school supplies, birthday party gifts, etc. and take her almost everywhere she needs to be (doctors, dance school, etc.) He is withholding overnight visits right now until I "start paying him money". I would like to have at least one of the children approximately 3 nights a week to sleep over if the ex would permit it. The other child is 17 and quite independent. Although he provides the roof, there is little else he does for either of the two children.

If he has residential custody then depending on your incomes, he may receive some child support. If your incomes are the same and you both have equal split parenting time with both kids, it is possible support can be waived.

See an attorney if you have any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back