Several Government Employee (MWR) Questions

applepiecrumbs

Jurisdiction
Alaska
I am working a part-time and Federal job. I am working under MWR (Military Welfare and Recreation) and have some questions regarding overtime pay and my schedule.

I have no designated hours set in my contract on what hours I am to work, other than under 40 hours and more than 20 per pay week (Thursday through Wednesday). I have medical benefits and leave accrual for my position. Currently, my schedule is being edited a week or two in advance for when my manager needs me to be onsite. Am I able to ask for days to not work on certain weeks (such as one week a Friday, the next a Thursday) without it taking hours from my PTO (currently working 39 hours a week)?

Also, the state of Alaska has a law ( I believe) stating that any hours worked over 8 hours a day is overtime; I have been told that since I am an non-exempt federal worker, this law does not apply and only over 40 hours a week is noted as overtime; Is this correct?

Lastly, tying into this previous question, on days that I have worked over 8 hours management has attempted to "flex" my hours, so that if I work 9 hours today, they can work me only 7 hours tomorrow so they don't have to pay me overtime ( as it doesn't go over 40 hours a week). Is this legal?

Thank you for your time.

Am I able to ask for days to not work on certain weeks (such as one week a Friday, the next a Thursday) without it taking hours from my PTO (currently working 39 hours a week)?

A person has the ability to ask another person anything.

Most bosses will eagerly answer questions posed to them by their subordinates.

Also, the state of Alaska has a law ( I believe) stating that any hours worked over 8 hours a day is overtime; I have been told that since I am an non-exempt federal worker, this law does not apply and only over 40 hours a week is noted as overtime; Is this correct?

If you are employed in an MWR capacity, working on a federal/military reservation, state law wouldn't apply.

astly, tying into this previous question, on days that I have worked over 8 hours management has attempted to "flex" my hours, so that if I work 9 hours today, they can work me only 7 hours tomorrow so they don't have to pay me overtime ( as it doesn't go over 40 hours a week). Is this legal?

Home :: Resource Center

It isn't illegal.

Bear in mind, all behavior isn't illegal.

If you have concerns or issues about your employment, discuss them with human resources or your chain of command.

Otherwise, if your working conditions aren't to your liking, seek employment elsewhere.

The world isn't going to change to satisfy your wants and needs.

T R A I N I N G
As a MWR employee, your individual professional development is a high priority. Opportunities exist for technical training to help you do your do better. Employees can also take online coursework with through the U.S. Army's Family and MWR Academy in financial and personnel management, leadership, procurement, customer service, marketing and promotions and program planning. Family and MWR leadership values its employees and provides multiple ways move upward in your career.

B E N E F I T S
MWR offers competitive salaries and benefit packages that include medical, dental and life insurance. Comprehensive retirement and 401(k) plans are available for part-time and full-time employees and the organization will match your monthly contributions up to four percent.

The up tempo environment on a DLA installation means your schedule is never routine and your day is never dull. Family and MWR employees make up a network of professionals who all work together to provide important programs and services that contribute to the quality of life on an installation.

We're always looking for talented professionals in these key areas:

Child Development
Sports and Fitness Management
Outdoor Recreation
NAF Contracting
Marketing
Financial Management
Professional Golf Management
Food & Beverage

MWR Employment

Back