selling used parts

Chris jones

Jurisdiction
Florida
Does anyone know the laws in Florida for selling used parts. Not necessarily auto parts but any kind of used parts...can a company sell you used parts, charge you the price of full retail that the part cost new and install it without telling you?

Does anyone know the laws in Florida for selling used parts. Not necessarily auto parts but any kind of used parts...can a company sell you used parts, charge you the price of full retail that the part cost new and install it without telling you?

Any question preceded by the word "can" almost invariably must be answered with the word "yes." So, yes, the company CAN do it if they DID do it. I don't think that's the answer your looking for.

Tell is exactly what happened to you and we can tell you whether or not there is anything you can do about it.

Details count.

Well I know they can. Anybody can do anything..I'm asking if it's legal. I don't know how to be more specific about it. Let's say my washing machine broke. I hired a service company to come fix it and they put used parts in and charged me the full retail price of those parts as if they were new, and told me they are new parts.

Well I know they can. Anybody can do anything..I'm asking if it's legal. I don't know how to be more specific about it. Let's say my washing machine broke. I hired a service company to come fix it and they put used parts in and charged me the full retail price of those parts as if they were new, and told me they are new parts.

If nothing in the contract prohibits it, or if you pay full price for used parts, without inquiring as to the parts being new or used; not much can be done.

If you have WRITTEN EVIDENCE that supports your allegations, your remedy might lie in small claims court, or with some state regulatory agency.

Used car parts,used appliance parts, the EXACT nature of YOUR allegation matters.

I think the issue here is about FULL disclosure or DECEPTIVE practices,more than its about used or new.

What were you told, and what do you have in writing?

The use of due diligence in ALL matters is advised.

ALWAYS know before you do.

Last edited:
I was told the parts were new and I have written evidence of that. And I have evidence and knowledge that the parts were used. These were appliance repairs. I'm not trying to sue anybody. It's unethical what they did in my eyes and I'm just curious if it is legal or not

I was told the parts were new and I have written evidence of that. And I have evidence and knowledge that the parts were used. These were appliance repairs. I'm not trying to sue anybody. It's unethical what they did in my eyes and I'm just curious if it is legal or not

If anything it's a breach of contract.

And there is no "trying to sue."

There is only sue or not sue.

So if you aren't going to sue for a partial refund then the best you can do is file a complaint with your state's consumer protection agency, give them all your evidence and see how that goes.

I said I was not trying to sue which means not sue. I appreciate the help but maybe next time you can put more thought into answering people's questions than nit picking how they phrase it and using it as a way to make yourself look more intelligent. Things would be a lot simpler. I do thank you though.

I said I was not trying to sue which means not sue. I appreciate the help but maybe next time you can put more thought into answering people's questions than nit picking how they phrase it and using it as a way to make yourself look more intelligent. Things would be a lot simpler. I do thank you though.
That "nitpicking" you refer too is more accurately called "being specific" which is at the heart of a binding, enforceable contract.
Your question and subsequent answers to respondent's question were all non-specific and void of the detail it would take to answer your question in any practical and meaningful way.
You are the problem here and I suspect with the appliance repair company as well. You have not approached this forum in good faith but rather as someone who will only be satisfied if they hear the answer they seek; not neccessarily the correct and truly helpful answer.
Your whining 'thanks but no thanks' rejoinder to adjusterjack's last response is what really wound me up but I must be clear that I thought at the outset that you only wanted to get out of paying fully for your appliance repair and I still do.

More than likely it isn't a question of legalities.
What you're describing appears to be a breach of contract issue.
You bought nbew parts, paid for new parts, received used parts, and the repairer aided the scheme.
It might be fraudulent, but only after a trial could such a conclusion be known.

At present what you've suffered is a breach of contract.

That "nitpicking" you refer too is more accurately called "being specific" which is at the heart of a binding, enforceable contract.
Your question and subsequent answers to respondent's question were all non-specific and void of the detail it would take to answer your question in any practical and meaningful way.
You are the problem here and I suspect with the appliance repair company as well. You have not approached this forum in good faith but rather as someone who will only be satisfied if they hear the answer they seek; not neccessarily the correct and truly helpful answer.
Your whining 'thanks but no thanks' rejoinder to adjusterjack's last response is what really wound me up but I must be clear that I thought at the outset that you only wanted to get out of paying fully for your appliance repair and I still do.

My original question was clearly vague and specific enough to give me the answers I ended up getting. I didn't go into much more detail. The appliance repair was a made up scenario so I hate to hurt your pride but your completely wrong. I am definitely not the problem. It's people like you who can't just give a straight answer they have to nit pick the question to make themselves feel more important. I wasn't looking for a specific answer to help my cause , I was simply looking for a general answer to the question. I accepted adjusterjack's answer and clearly thanked him. Never did I say no thank you like you claim. I just gave him a little advice on how to treat people in the future if he's to be answering questions. And I'll reiterate for you one last time because you clearly don't read well. I'm not attempting to sue anybody, I'm not trying to get money back I was just simply curious if it was legal or not. So sorry that I got you "wound up." It was clearly a response to adjusterjack and had nothing to do with you so I'm not sure why you felt you needed to be involved.

Back