Breaking a Lease Security Deposit

Connie Gotthelf

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
I live in an illegal duplex and my landlord will not make even the simplest repairs. My lease expires on April 1, 2017. If I break the lease, can I get my deposit back? I did not know that it was an illegal duplex when I rented it.

Last edited:
I live in an illegal duplex and my landlord will not make even the simplest repairs. My lease expires on April 1, 2017. If I break the lease, can I get my deposit back? I did not know that it was an illegal duplex when I rented it.

If you suspect the unit, or KNOW the unit to be illegal, you start by contacting the building inspection authorities or the authority that manages certificates of occupancy or habitability for your city or county.

I think in your situation, that would be this agency in Chatham County

Chatham County : Central Permits & Inspections

If it isn't the agency, I'm sure someone at that agency can direct you.

Don't blab to the LL what you're investigating, stay silent, be nice.

In many cases, you MIGHT get some or ALL of the rent money you have paid, and you'll probably get ALL of your deposit money.

Don't waste any more time asking questions here, get busy contact REAL governmental agencies for the help they can provide.

I live in an illegal duplex. My lease expires on April 1, 2017. The homeowner will not take care of even the simplest repairs. If I break my lease, can my landlord keep my security deposit?

Yes, and he can sue you for unpaid rent.

I agree with Army Judge that the way to handle this is quietly get the city or county involved.

When you get "official" notice from a government agency that you can't live there because it's illegal, THEN you have recourse against the landlord.

Back