RV Dealership never cashed/processed my check.

silentfall79

Jurisdiction
Texas
The RV dealer I purchased my RV trailer from in early Sep. 2023 never processed the check I wrote for the full purchase price. Since the purchase, the dealer has sent me the tags & registration, and I received the title a few weeks later. I did notice that the check had not been processed when I got the tag, but never really thought much of it, because my wife handles the expenses, and after I received the title it never crossed my mind again. After 7 months, I get a call stating that they never received my check and I still need to drop it off, then in the same conversation the story changed and I was told the check I wrote was sent back for insufficient funds and it was an accounting error on their part. At this point my wife called our bank to confirm the account status and if any checks had been returned/rejected in the past year, our bank informed us that the account is active and in good standing and that there have not been any checks to be rejected or returned, and the actual check # was a missing number and no attempts had been made to cash it. I call the dealership back and ask for the returned check that they have and I get another story of the accounting department lost the check. My thoughts are asking why now after 7 months and why so many different stories.
The dealer has now called everyday for over a week asking for us to drop off a check. With clean title in hand and a receipt stating paid in full, my first thoughts are asking if I can just ignore this. The dealership is a three hour drive from where we live in a remote area of Texas. I do not want to go out of my way because of the dealership was irresponsible, nor do I want to write another high value check with the original one missing.

With clean title in hand and a receipt stating paid in full, my first thoughts are asking if I can just ignore this. The dealership is a three hour drive from where we live in a remote area of Texas. I do not want to go out of my way because of the dealership was irresponsible, nor do I want to write another high value check with the original one missing.
Permit me to bottom line this for you.

First, you don't need to drive three hours to deliver a replacement check.

This is the 21st century. People often use FedEx to overnight items to far flung spots on Planet Earth.

Yes, it'll cost you to do so, but guess what else will, cost you?

Defending a criminal charge, related to stiffing the dealer. Sure, it sucks, but so does being charged with a felony.

If I were you, I'd do the right thing. The easy way out often leads to the wrong way out.

Choose wisely!!!

The RV dealer I purchased my RV trailer from in early Sep. 2023 never processed the check I wrote for the full purchase price. Since the purchase, the dealer has sent me the tags & registration, and I received the title a few weeks later. I did notice that the check had not been processed when I got the tag, but never really thought much of it, because my wife handles the expenses, and after I received the title it never crossed my mind again. After 7 months, I get a call stating that they never received my check and I still need to drop it off, then in the same conversation the story changed and I was told the check I wrote was sent back for insufficient funds and it was an accounting error on their part. At this point my wife called our bank to confirm the account status and if any checks had been returned/rejected in the past year, our bank informed us that the account is active and in good standing and that there have not been any checks to be rejected or returned, and the actual check # was a missing number and no attempts had been made to cash it. I call the dealership back and ask for the returned check that they have and I get another story of the accounting department lost the check. My thoughts are asking why now after 7 months and why so many different stories.
The dealer has now called everyday for over a week asking for us to drop off a check. With clean title in hand and a receipt stating paid in full, my first thoughts are asking if I can just ignore this. The dealership is a three hour drive from where we live in a remote area of Texas. I do not want to go out of my way because of the dealership was irresponsible, nor do I want to write another high value check with the original one missing.
A check is only good for 6 months after the date written. Therefore, it should be rejected by any bank for deposit or cashing. You can certainly stop payment if you choose and issue a new check. Otherwise, you may find yourself with a criminal charge of theft by deception, fraud, or otherwise or be sued for the money. You admit you did not pay for the RV.

my first thoughts are asking if I can just ignore this. The dealership is a three hour drive from where we live in a remote area of Texas. I do not want to go out of my way because of the dealership was irresponsible, nor do I want to write another high value check with the original one missing.

I see. You want strangers on the internet to tell you it's OK to steal the RV?

It's not OK.

Put a stop pay on the check just to make sure. So it costs you $20. Then get a cashier's check from the bank and send it by overnight mail return receipt requested. Tell the dealer to expect it.

Better than getting the RV repossessed and getting sued for a deficiency after it gets sold at auction.

Yeah, not your fault, you get a little inconvenienced, blah, blah, blah, whine, whine, whine. If this is the worst thing that ever happens in your life you're ahead of the game.

Suck it up and be done with it.

Back