Roommates and damages

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjongo

My son has lived in student living with 3 other chosen roommates that he didn't know very well but the other 3 were good friends. They each have their own bedroom and bathroom that is keyed. They have a common area and the apartment was furnished and new. There were many things damaged over the year from various parties that they all had. we are now finding out that they are going to be billing me as a cosigner for the full damages to the apartment. Each person signed their own lease agreement. they state that because two of the roommates blame ALL damages that my son reported to maintenance on my son that he is responsible. wouldn't this be conceived as heresay. my son has witnesses stating that his roommates caused damage. do we have any recourse since it does not state in the lease any information about damages other than the resident will be responsible and they are all residents? HELP!!

Depending on what you're being assessed, you might want to hire an attorney. Whatever you do, contest the damages if you believe them to be excessive. Take it court if you think the charges are excessive. Otherwise, pay them. Whatever you do, don't ignore them.

Going forward, counsel your son on appropriate behavior. Perhaps, he should reimburse you if you get stuck paying for his foolishness. Next year, if you agree to fund his education, rent him a single person studio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Army...my concern is not counseling my son..believe me this has been done thoroughly! The question is how they can assess just my son for a common area damage that he states he didn't do but admits ro some other damages..how two roomates who are best friends can convince the leasing office it was my son..isn't that here say and they should be assessed as well

Army...my concern is not counseling my son..believe me this has been done thoroughly! The question is how they can assess just my son for a common area damage that he states he didn't do but admits ro some other damages..how two roomates who are best friends can convince the leasing office it was my son..isn't that here say and they should be assessed as well

If they had three separate leases and not one common one your son is responsible for damages to his room fully if in fact it is assigned in the lease agreement.As for shared or common areas all leasers are equally responsible, I would answer the management company and ask how they came to the conclusion that your son is solely responsible for the damages, ask for sworn eyewitness accounts(other than interested parties) and surveillance footage which they must have;)

jjongo said:

Yes, all of it is meaningless until you're served with court papers. Then you go and defend and make them prove their case. Until then, say nothing, admit to nothing, agree to nothing. You only have to respond to legal process.

I suspect they're coming after you because they may think you'll roll over and let them financially brutalize you, or because they think two against one prevails, or they think you have deep pockets. It really doesn't matter what they think or say. It only matter if this goes to court.

If they send you a bill, respond with a polite letter that says under advice of your attorney, you feel you aren't responsible for those damages, because your son didn't damage the property. Then advise the landlord that you're prepared to defend this matter in a court of law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back