roaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillysTheory

I've had this apartment since end of December 08. I've now also had roaches since end of December 08. We've set out bait, we're very clean people and they just keep coming. Got one of those wall things that sends out a "pulse." We've verbally complained to the landlord and he set out his own bait.

Back story on this landlord... he does nothing. He's by himself with four rental buildings (that I know of) and no maintenance crew. He really is a nice old man but he just refuses to do ANYTHING maintenance wise unless it has to do with heat/water. He is so stingy he turns the hot water heat to minimal and is out here weekly to make sure things aren't being overused. Keeps an anally close eye on water usage.

So I'm asking here, any way to get out of my lease? Are roaches enough? Do I need other justifications?

What state do you live in?

Unfortunately in hot humid states (and I live in one...Georgia) roaches...or more likely Palmetto bugs (large, flying roaches) are often a problem. That's because it never gets cold enough to kill the population; just knocks them down a tad. They come back quickly.

Is this enough for you to get out of a lease? Unlikely. Besides, although you said he does nothing you also indicate that when you complained to him about these bugs he set out his own bait. That doesn't lead credence to your statement that he didn't address your concerns.

Gail

Iowa.

My wife said he put out his own bait, I personally have not seen it and so far have failed to see any benefit from it.

There is numerous other things he hasn't done to prove he cares about his tenants, none of which even I could consider to break a lease. I have a phobia about bugs. I don't know why, but I do. Its not like roaches are harmful in any way it seems, but I still hate them so much.

IMHO I just think he needs to at least call a company for a pest spray, all my previous landlords have, even without requests.

Aside from the obvious necessities for acceptable living, any other loops holes that I may be able to exploit? When I got this apartment I was in one of those situations where it was basically do or die, get it or be homeless. Now that things have settled down enough in my life I would love to switch apartments to a pest free environment. Seems like now a days it doesn't matter, roaches are becoming par for apartment living and it's down right disgusting.

I'm not even too far off from owning my own house, but unless something happens to break this lease, it wont happen til January.

You can certainly request that he call a professional exterminator. You can also offer to do the same and pay for this yourself.

If you simply break your lease and move, you do run the risk of facing a lawsuit should your landlord wish to sue you for rent owed on the apartment. In some places a landlord/management may allow a person to break a lease with, say, a penalty of a lost deposit and a month or two of owed rent. This allows the landlord some financial coverage until they are able to find new tenants without the time and expense of having to take the former tenants to court and avoids a judgement for breaking a lease showing up on your credit.

Unfortunately bugs such as roaches are pretty common, especially in living situations such as apartments/duplexes where another tenant may not be very clean.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back