Criminal Law Retail Theft and Naturalization

Status
Not open for further replies.

humbled

I was charged with retail theft under 150 in the state of illinois and went to court for it...i hired a lawyer and he talked to the asst. district attorney about dismissing the case due to the reason that I wasnt thinking when i left the store with the purse still on my shoulder but since the DA said that they have heard the alibi for the million time she said no but I may qualify to somethg else...my lawyer came out of the room with a paper for me to sign.Its a theft class that I have to attend plus the 40 hours of community service hours that I need to do. I told my lawyer that I cannot plead guilty to anything since it s my job ,application for a state license and my plans of applying for immigration (naturalization) eventually. I was called by the judge and was asked how old I am and that I should know better and that I should not blow the chance... then asked everyone if theres an objection and then im done...I cannot remember pleading guilty to anythng nor saying nolo contendere or signing anything that admits to the arrest...i only signed the class paper thing. My lawyer told me that after eveything is done we come back 3 months after and he says that the case will be dropped or dismiss. And wheni called the class to sign up the lady mentioned about being able to expunged the arrest record after this so it doesnt show up on my record. Here is my question...if everything goes well ( im done iwth the community service alreadya nd just waiting to attend the class...IS THIS A CONVICTION FOR IMMIGRATION PURPOSES? WILL I BE DEPORTED? MY LAWYER TELLS ME THAT I CAN ACTUALLY APPLY FOR THE NATURALIZATION SINCE THIS IS NOT A CONVICTION... ANYONE WHO HAS UNDERGONE THE SAME SITUATION AND WAS GIVEN A NATURALIZATION? i AM SO WORRIED ABOUT EVERYTHING...YOU DONT REALIZE HOW MUCH A SMALL MISTAKE CAN DO TO YOUR LIFE...thankyou somuch in advance for anyones opinion on the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back