request for policy limits- what do i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monstergirl

i recently was involved in an accident involving injuries to a pedestrian. almost a month later, i receive a letter from my auto insurance telling me that "another party's attorney has requested information concerning my policy limits" and that i have to decide if i want to give them that information.
to me, this seems like an attempt to find out how much money i can be milked for. i have the minimum policy limit, and was told by my agent that sometimes if an attorney knows i have very little to go after, they may not pursue me... but that my agent cannot advise me on what to do.
i just want to make this go away, what is the best course of action?

Shouldn't your insurance company have an attorney to handle this? Yes, the other attorney wants to know how much you're insured for. If you are uninsurable and not likely to pay off a large amount, then an attorney is usually disincentivized to pursue a case because cases like these are usually contingency based from my experience. That means that the attorney gets a percentage, say 33%, of the amounts awarded -- which means collected. If you're not a person who can provide the payment, then the attorney knows his efforts will go unrewarded. Your gut instinct is probably correct and you should also find out about the insurance company's attorney as mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back