Request for Legal Counsel Concerning Anticipated Attorney General Investigation

JenniferTheLaw

Jurisdiction
New York
Hello,
I am seeking legal guidance on responding to a communication received from the New York State Attorney General's Office, and exploring the advisability of having a legal representative respond on my behalf.

Earlier today, 10/24, I received a voicemail from the NYS Attorney General stating that an investigation concerning a complaint against my business will commence within 24 hours unless a response is received. The complaint, lodged by Mr. Ron Ventura, alleges that my business publicly mentioned him by name in response to a review he left on Google. I wish to highlight that, per Google's policy guidelines, businesses are encouraged to personalize their responses, which may include mentioning the reviewer's name. However, upon diligent review of our reviews on Google, I found no review by Ventura at all, and therefore no mention of Mr. Ventura's name in our responses, thereby leaving me with no direct means to address this claim.

I am in need of legal advice on the appropriate course of action to take in response to the Attorney General's communication, and to understand the potential legal ramifications involved in this matter. Your expertise in navigating this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Warm regards,
Jennifer

I am in need of legal advice on the appropriate course of action to take in response to the Attorney General's communication, and to understand the potential legal ramifications involved in this matter. Your expertise in navigating this situation would be greatly appreciated.

If your business, wealth, and freedom are at stake, HIRE an attorney to advise and protect your rights.

Only an attorney LICENSED in the state where the issue is brewing can LEGALLY advise you and your business.

Don't allow penny pinching to end up costing you EVERYTHING you've built up and acquired.

Don't waste another minute, burn precious daylight, seeking to save a dime or a dollar.

You need an attorney's help today, go get it!!!!

Earlier today, 10/24, I received a voicemail from the NYS Attorney General stating that an investigation concerning a complaint against my business will commence within 24 hours unless a response is received. The complaint, lodged by Mr. Ron Ventura, alleges that my business publicly mentioned him by name in response to a review he left on Google.

I cannot even fathom that this is how the NYS AG conducts her business. If the AG wanted to investigate you, she would do so. I can't conceive that she (or one of her deputies) would call you and say, "hey...we're going to commence an investigation...UNLESS you respond (in some unknown way) within 24 hours." I also seriously doubt that the AG's office would get involved in a dispute relating to an online review.

upon diligent review of our reviews on Google, I found no review by Ventura at all, and therefore no mention of Mr. Ventura's name in our responses

Add this to the things I mentioned above, and what does this tell you?

Sounds to me like the phone call you received was a scam. Did the "person" who left the message sound like a real person or a robot? Did the "person" say how you are supposed to respond? Did the "person" leave a phone number? If so, have you verified that it is a legitimate number for the AG's office? How about visiting the AG's website and calling one of the numbers listed here to verify the legitimacy (or lack thereof) of the call?

My guess is that the person receiving the NEGATIVE commentary on the Google site instigated, initiated, or arranged the call to the OP, impersonating the State AG, or her/his/it's representative.

Some might consider that to be a prank.

My guess is that the person receiving the NEGATIVE commentary on the Google site instigated, initiated, or arranged the call to the OP, impersonating the State AG, or her/his/it's representative.

Some might consider that to be a prank.

Might "some" consider it to be a crime?

Back