reneging a not guilty plea

capo79

Jurisdiction
Texas
I got a speeding ticket over a year ago, they lost my address so there is not a warrant or anything. They did charge me w failure to appear as well. It's expensive and it's a lot of points off my licence. I want to fight it but I don't want to go back down to texas I'm in Chicago. If I enter 'not guilty' now and then later to avoid trial and having to go to texas, can I simply plead guilty? kind of reneging my n/g plea? I don't think I'll win it but maybe if I challenge they will offer me a lower fine? If I enter 'not guilty' is it a sealed deal? out of my hands? or can I enter guilty later on before any trial or appointment happens?

I have a speeding ticket/failure to appear. I can plead guilty and pay a big fine or fight it and try to reduce my fines. there is no warrant because They lost the paperwork this was over a year ago. Now we are trying to resolve this. I'm up north in Chicago and I really don't want to go back down to texas but I don't want to pay right now either. Once I enter not guilty, is it set in stone that I have to go to court ? or do I have the ability to plead guilty at any time during the process and go back to the original payment plan that they've offered? Which is high its like 140 a month until I pay $600 bucks . Can I delay , and then, later on, renege my "not guilty" plea without repercussion? In the event, they don't offer lower fines and I feel that's the best call?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you a righteously indignant head shaker with gate keeper tendencies? If so call 1800 highwayman. The highwayman will teach you how to accelerate around a question and pontificate meaningless platitudes and veiled threats. Not exactly what Johnny, Kris, Willy or Merle woulda done.

I have a speeding ticket/failure to appear. I can plead guilty and pay a big fine or fight it and try to reduce my fines. there is no warrant because They lost the paperwork this was over a year ago. Now we are trying to resolve this. I'm up north in Chicago and I really don't want to go back down to texas but I don't want to pay right now either. Once I enter not guilty, is it set in stone that I have to go to court ? or do I have the ability to plead guilty at any time during the process and go back to the original payment plan that they've offered? Which is high its like 140 a month until I pay $600 bucks . Can I delay , and then, later on, renege my "not guilty" plea without repercussion? In the event, they don't offer lower fines and I feel that's the best call?

Texas offers alleged traffic violators two easy, lower cost options over fighting a citation, or pleading out.

You can simply request traffic school.
Yes, you can take the six hour timed course online from anywhere on the planet.

You can request DEFERRED ADJUDICATION in MOST Texas counties.

I suggest you PERSONALLY contact the court clerk and inquire if either option is available to you.

BOTH options will ERASE the citation, as if it never even happened.

Dirty little secret, mate, people in the know in Texas never plead out, NEVER!!!

Texas offers alleged traffic violators two easy, lower cost options over fighting a citation, or pleading out.

You can simply request traffic school.
Yes, you can take the six hour timed course online from anywhere on the planet.

You can request DEFERRED ADJUDICATION in MOST Texas counties.

I suggest you PERSONALLY contact the court clerk and inquire if either option is available to you.

BOTH options will ERASE the citation, as if it never even happened.

Dirty little secret, mate, people in the know in Texas never plead out, NEVER!!!

Yes thank you for that. I knew about that. It is only for TX residents.

DEFERRED ADJUDICATION is available to anyone, if the judge grants the request.

Traffic school may be available to out of state residents in some counties.

Out of state drivers aren't barred by statute, from taking a TEA approved course.

Again, ASK the court clerk.

If approved, you have 90 days to complete the six hour course.

Eligibility
You are eligible to take a defensive driving course once every 12 months. This will get your Texas ticket dismissed and will relieve you from having to pay the fines and costs associated with the traffic ticket.

In order to dismiss a traffic citation by taking a driving safety course:

Enter a plea of 'guilty' or 'no contest' to the charge, request to take the course, and pay the fees to the court;
Present a valid Texas driver's license or permit, you must NOT possess a Commercial Driver License (CDL);
Have not completed a course within one year of the date of this ticket;
Were not speeding 25 MPH or more over the posted speed limit;
Present proof of liability insurance;
Complete course within 90 days of court approval;
Submit uniform certificate of completion (obtained upon completion of the course) and driving record (obtainable from DPS in Austin for $10), in accordance with Court instructions.
Out-of-state convictions for Texas drivers: Out-of-state violations are reported on your Texas driving record and points are assessed according to Texas laws.

Out-of-state drivers: The Texas court where you got the ticket will report the offense to your home state. Non-resident military members who receive a ticket in TX can have it dismissed by taking a TEA-approved driving safety course. Other drivers should contact the court of jurisdiction to see if taking a TEA-approved driving safety course will get the ticket dismissed.

wow thanks fo that info. I will follow up w that clerk that said out of state residents were not eligible for DA.

It's often up the the judge or JP.
As I said, some JP or Muni Courts don't permit it.
You can probably look it up yourself using the Internet.

Back