Assault & Battery Question about assault

Status
Not open for further replies.

mci88

Last year when I was living in Orange County, NY, I was chased down and beaten in a public park by someone I knew in the town after he and I had a verbal confrontation. I was with friends who witnessed it happening. It was one of the most humiliating events in my life, and I still feel affected by it.

I'd like to report the crime, but I'm reluctant to. Last year I briefly sold marijuana in small amounts, and I think that my attacker would tell the police if I tried to press charges. Since that time I've stopped using drugs entirely.

What is the likelihood that I would be charged with a crime if he told the police that I sold marijuana? What is the statute of limitations -- did I wait too long to report the assault? Is there enough evidence for my case to be taken seriously, and what could possible outcomes be?

Your help in this is greatly appreciated.

Last year when I was living in Orange County, NY, I was chased down and beaten in a public park by someone I knew in the town after he and I had a verbal confrontation. I was with friends who witnessed it happening. It was one of the most humiliating events in my life, and I still feel affected by it.

I'd like to report the crime, but I'm reluctant to. Last year I briefly sold marijuana in small amounts, and I think that my attacker would tell the police if I tried to press charges. Since that time I've stopped using drugs entirely.

What is the likelihood that I would be charged with a crime if he told the police that I sold marijuana? What is the statute of limitations -- did I wait too long to report the assault? Is there enough evidence for my case to be taken seriously, and what could possible outcomes be?

Your help in this is greatly appreciated.

First off the charge is battery not assault, which is a misdemeanor. Well unfortunately I suspect that their is a motive for your change of heart to file charges (maybe a recent event?) after one whole year. Now the answer to your question is 99% chance No charges will be filed. First you would have to go to the state attorney's office to file charges, because police probably wont write a report from a year ago. After the state has seen your request it will drop the case due to the fact you have no proof of injury's, no police report on the date in question, and the fact you waited one year is good enough to drop it. Second he can say whatever he wants, even if it is true their is no physical evidence to prove the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back