Purchased car from private party

Status
Not open for further replies.

neelanguildner7

My jurisdiction is: california USA

I recently purchased a vehicle from a private party that I found in a local ad. The ad said the following:'' Price: $2,400
4-door, automatic, AC, small dents, great transportation, 35mpg, $2,400/ OBO.''

I went to view the car with my mom who was paying for half of it. The owner said she was to ''aggressive'' and asked for her to be left out of this. Owner allowed me a test drive up and down the street but avoided letting me thoroughly inspect it. He did not mention that it was salvaged, or provide explanation for the issues with the body. Sadly I paid him for half of it in cash thinking that I could take it home for a few days to get it checked by a mechanic and find out if anything was wrong with it. The next morning I called and asked if I could give it back, he said no the money was gone. He also had me sign a pencil-written note saying that he could take back the car if full payment was not received within two weeks''.

Sorry for making this go on and on, basically I feel like an idiot. This was my first car and I managed to get a lemon. He told me everything worked, turns out AC did not work and will cost me $700 to be repaired, both bumpers on this car are NOT the original bumpers(nor are they the proper fit),tail light was cracked and taped, door handle was missing and door would not open, back windows do not operate, steering wheel shakes very bad when I drive over 40MPH, car was in a head-on collision and Carfax said it had 14 recall notices, plus he set the speedometer back over 4,000 miles. And it really doesn't get 35 mpg, try 20 tops.
His ''small dents'' turned out to be actual cracks in the body. My mom wanted a part in this but he refused to speak to her in person or on the phone, even though she was paying half of it and wrote him a check.

I feel like he totally misrepresented this car, plus he told me that I could take it home for a few days to decide if I liked it. I called him the next morning and he wouldn't refund the money. He wouldn't pay for a smog check, so I covered that. He tried getting me to pay registration, but finally decided to cover it. I've had this car for about 4 months and haven't received title yet.
Kelly blue book pricing was $1600.

Is there anything I can do?

How old are you? Are you over the age of 18? If not, you may have grounds based on the fact that you are a minor.

Do you have anything from him in writing about the terms of purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back