Plan B?

I do have another question. I can't afford 7500-8500 for a lawyer. I can't come up with that much money. I was just told I make too much to qualify for a public defender. I remember your reply and going it alone is not wise. I don't know what to do next. Any information for me to consider would be much appreciated.

There are some potential resources that may be available to you other than a public defender. For example, law schools often run legal clinics in which students studying to become lawyers can handle cases under the supervision of a professor who is licensed to practice law and is an expert in the area of law involved. My state has two law schools that often offer traffic/DUI representation and legal advice for a lot less than you'd pay a regular attorney. Perhaps your state has a law school that offers that, too. There may also be legal aid societies in your state that could help. Also, some lawyers do some cases on a pro bono basis as part of their commitment to serve the community, though there is less of that in criminal law because of the public defender system. I don't practice in GA and don't know exactly what legal services you may have available to you there. The point is don't just assume that a PD or paying full price for a private attorney are your only options.

You might want to start with the GA Bar's internet resources for the public, and the information provided by Georgia Legal Aid. Also contact the law schools in your state to see if they offer student clinics that serve the public. Don't give up looking for help. Even though the PD won't help (I'd guess that's due in part because of insufficient funding to meet all the demand) you might find other ways to get at least some help with your case.

I

I was surprised to hear him ask that question too. Considering all the disagreements my attorney and I had, including turning down a plea deal, it's understandable, not acceptable.thank you for thevreply.
I appreciate you very much. Thank you
There are some potential resources that may be available to you other than a public defender. For example, law schools often run legal clinics in which students studying to become lawyers can handle cases under the supervision of a professor who is licensed to practice law and is an expert in the area of law involved. My state has two law schools that often offer traffic/DUI representation and legal advice for a lot less than you'd pay a regular attorney. Perhaps your state has a law school that offers that, too. There may also be legal aid societies in your state that could help. Also, some lawyers do some cases on a pro bono basis as part of their commitment to serve the community, though there is less of that in criminal law because of the public defender system. I don't practice in GA and don't know exactly what legal services you may have available to you there. The point is don't just assume that a PD or paying full price for a private attorney are your only options.

You might want to start with the GA Bar's internet resources for the public, and the information provided by Georgia Legal Aid. Also contact the law schools in your state to see if they offer student clinics that serve the public. Don't give up looking for help. Even though the PD won't help (I'd guess that's due in part because of insufficient funding to meet all the demand) you might find other ways to get at least some help with your case.

Back