pay decrease with no two week notice

katy moore

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
By law, is my employer allowed to lower our last paycheck to minimum wage? When anyone quits without putting in a two week notice, our wages on the last check gets dropped to $7.25.
There was no contract signed upon hiring.

As far as I have been able to determine with a quick search, this process is legal in PA as long as you are made aware of it (or should have been made aware of it) beforehand. As an example, if the company handbook states that this will happen, then it's legal.

As far as I have been able to determine with a quick search, this process is legal in PA as long as you are made aware of it (or should have been made aware of it) beforehand. As an example, if the company handbook states that this will happen, then it's legal.
There is/was no handbook handed out at any time. The only reason I know about it is because i'm assistant manager and the store manager brags about it.
No contract, no handbook, no warning.

PA is very big on "follow your policy". If this has been a consistent policy and the employees know about it, it's unlikely that PA will determine that this is a wage violation. I agree that it would be better if it were in writing, but if they are consistent about it and it is known, it's not a violation of either Federal or PA law.

Last edited:
I used to live in PA years ago and a lot of its laws and practices seemed archaic to me. And they haven't changed a whole since I've been gone. But I never heard of an employer using this tactic. And I'm guessing one of the big reasons why is that it is a classless move that alienates the discharged employee and anyone the employee tells about. Reputation is hard to regain once lost, and your employer is willing to risk it with this practice? I'm going to bet there were other practices there, too, what while legal may have alienated employees as well.

I never heard of an employer using this tactic.

I have, in many states other than PA. It's done primarily when there has been a spate of employees leaving without notice and the transition has been rocky because of that. It's not a move I'm in favor of - if you treat your employees right they're much more likely to treat you right. But it's not an uncommon tactic.

Back