Paid for surgery, changed my mind, was told funds can be used in future, worried they won’t honor it

Keva

Jurisdiction
Michigan
My wife had already paid for an elective surgery. She has decided she does not want to go through with it at this time. Since she changed her mind too close to the procedure they will only refund half minus the deposit.

She was told over email by the receptionist that she can use the amount she paid for a procedure in the future, even if it is several years later. We are worried that in a few years they will not honor this. If that happens, can we use the email as evidence in court? What if the receptionist who sent the email no longer works there? What if the doctor retires in that time? What if in the future they decide to double the price of the procedure for my wife just because they can? Any advice?

If that happens, can we use the email as evidence in court?

Only the presiding judge over the civil litigation can decide if something can be submitted in evidence.

What if the receptionist who sent the email no longer works there?

If you desire to call a person as a witness during a civil trial, you are required to locate the person, and ensure the potential witness is subpoenaed to testify, IF the presiding judge allows the individual to so testify.

What if the doctor retires in that time?

What if you were to die?

What if your spouse is injured by a terrorist, becomes bed ridden and brain dead?

No human being is capable of predicting what will happen in the next 24 hours, much less the ensuing years.

Any advice?

Anonymous internet denizens are unable, in fact outlawed from dispensing legal advice. If you must have your passel of "what if this, what if that" answered, you'll need to hire yourself a lawyer.

I'll post here what I posted on the other forum that you asked this question on (many of us frequent more than one forum):

Getting something more than an email from the receptionist is probably wise. Of course, you still run the risk of any number of things happening in the future that would cause you to be unable to "redeem" any promise of future service that you may get now. You seem to have thought about many of those possible things, so it does no good for me to rehash them.

Your question is not really something that a legal forum can help much with. Whether you "should" or "shouldn't" make one decision or the other is a personal decision, not a legal one. Personally, I'd take the money now...but that's not my decision to make.

I'll post here what I posted on the other forum that you asked this question on (many of us frequent more than one forum):

Getting something more than an email from the receptionist is probably wise. Of course, you still run the risk of any number of things happening in the future that would cause you to be unable to "redeem" any promise of future service that you may get now. You seem to have thought about many of those possible things, so it does no good for me to rehash them.

Your question is not really something that a legal forum can help much with. Whether you "should" or "shouldn't" make one decision or the other is a personal decision, not a legal one. Personally, I'd take the money now...but that's not my decision to make.
Thanks Zigner, I appreciate your help
Yes.

I don't understand these questions.

If your wife has questions/concerns, now is the time to seek clarification/
thank you for your insight

Back