Sex Crimes, Sex Offenders Old Misdemeanor Charge with Bench Warrant

Status
Not open for further replies.

mozfonky

Jurisdiction
Washington
Hello, first post.

Back in 2001 I was charged with indecent exposure in Seattle Wa. They sent me to sexual deviancy class where I didn't think what they were trying to do was fair (tell me I was paranoid and that I could go on SSI to pay them, after talking with me for 15 minutes). So, I didn't follow up. I was called to court, I then was called again because I didn't want a public defender and had no lawyer, a week later. Didn't go, 10,000 Bench Warrant that has been outstanding over 20 years. In my area, max fine is 1000 and 90 days in jail for a misdemeanor. At this point, I'm getting old and just should deal with it, with proper legal representation (not a public defender). What I need to know is what are some of the more likely outcomes of resolving this? I realize no one can really predict anything but can someone at least give me an idea?

The first thing you ought to do is reconsider your view about public defenders. Public are licensed attorneys just like all others — went to an accredited law school, passed the bar, passed the background check, and obtained a license to practice law from the state's highest court. Two of my law school friends started out their legal careers as public defenders, one of them in Seattle. Both were excellent law students and very good lawyers today. Those defendants who got them to represent them got very good representation.

Public defenders are also among the most experienced defense attorneys as they appear in court more often than private attorneys do and get to know the judges, prosecutors, and court staff to have a good idea of how your case is likely to go given the evidence against you. The main problem with a lot of public defenders offices is that the state doesn't fully fund them as they should (considering the Supreme Court's rulings about criminal defendant's right to access to an attorney). As a result, public defenders may not have the time to sit down and explain things to their clients in the same way a private attorney would or to provide the extras that a private attorney would. But of course, you pay a private attorney for the extra attention and other services they provide you.

If you can't afford a private attorney, then a public defender is a far better choice than representing yourself. The public defender is going know a whole lot more about the law, criminal and court procedure, and the rules of evidence than you do. If you can afford a private attorney, meet with one (or several) attorneys for an initial review of your situation. That will tell you a lot more about your options than anyone here can do. We don't have the details of your case nor do we know what court and what judge would be dealing with this. A conviction on a sexual offense can carry a lot more consequences than just the immediate sentence imposed (fine, probation, jail, and/or prison). You may wind up on a sex offender registration that limits where you can live, work, and go. Your best chance to avoid the worst is with an attorney, whether a private attorney you pay yourself or a public defender the state pays for.

The first thing you ought to do is reconsider your view about public defenders. Public are licensed attorneys just like all others — went to an accredited law school, passed the bar, passed the background check, and obtained a license to practice law from the state's highest court. Two of my law school friends started out their legal careers as public defenders, one of them in Seattle. Both were excellent law students and very good lawyers today. Those defendants who got them to represent them got very good representation.

Public defenders are also among the most experienced defense attorneys as they appear in court more often than private attorneys do and get to know the judges, prosecutors, and court staff to have a good idea of how your case is likely to go given the evidence against you. The main problem with a lot of public defenders offices is that the state doesn't fully fund them as they should (considering the Supreme Court's rulings about criminal defendant's right to access to an attorney). As a result, public defenders may not have the time to sit down and explain things to their clients in the same way a private attorney would or to provide the extras that a private attorney would. But of course, you pay a private attorney for the extra attention and other services they provide you.

If you can't afford a private attorney, then a public defender is a far better choice than representing yourself. The public defender is going know a whole lot more about the law, criminal and court procedure, and the rules of evidence than you do. If you can afford a private attorney, meet with one (or several) attorneys for an initial review of your situation. That will tell you a lot more about your options than anyone here can do. We don't have the details of your case nor do we know what court and what judge would be dealing with this. A conviction on a sexual offense can carry a lot more consequences than just the immediate sentence imposed (fine, probation, jail, and/or prison). You may wind up on a sex offender registration that limits where you can live, work, and go. Your best chance to avoid the worst is with an attorney, whether a private attorney you pay yourself or a public defender the state pays for.
Come on, if you're a lawyer you'd know that indecent exposure wouldn't require any sex offender registration unless maybe some kids were involved (they weren't). Also, as far as contacting a lawyer, did it friday, same as here, hard to get answers, "I'll call you back" then nothing. I expect this kind of thing but it's a big reason why I want nothing to do with it.

As far as public defenders, the one I had seemed to work along with the court and discourage any input from me. People don't want to say mean things as it comes off as elitist but public defenders are useless. I've known a couple guys who would have definitely went to prison if they'd had to rely on public defenders. Even if it's just an insane caseload, what's the difference. I paint people's houses and if I don't have the time they want to give me, or I think they'll get on my nerves and aggravate me, I tell them to find someone else because doing it right takes time. Again, what difference does it make if I can do a good job but I was rushed through it and did a bad job? Makes no difference.

As far as advice here, what does it say on the first page of this forum? I assume lawyers can read that.

People are just trying to help. There may not be anyone here who can tell you specifically how King County or Seattle will act. That is why you were recommended to get a lawyer, private or otherwise.

Your choice at this moment is probably a private lawyer because public defenders are to my knowledge available only to those already arrested or in custody.

Getting angry and frustrated at those here giving advice isn't going to help, they didn't whip out their wiener and ignore the legal process for decades.

Good luck, I hear the chow in the Malig Center is better than downtown Seattle, but Uber from the Caveman isn't available

Come on, if you're a lawyer you'd know that indecent exposure wouldn't require any sex offender registration unless maybe some kids were involved (they weren't).

And you would be wrong. In many states indecent exposure can be considered a "registrable offense", even if children aren't involved.

(Try googling "Do I Have To Register As a Sex Offender for Indecent Exposure?")

The fact is that over 20 years ago you were court ordered to do something and you didn't do it, and therefore there is a bench warrant.

You need a lawyer.

None of us know the specifics of your case, nor do we know you. On the one hand, given the length of time and that you haven't gotten in trouble again, you might get some leniency if you address this directly rather than wishing it away - maybe a five and community service. On the other hand, given your attitude displayed here, someone may just as likely get agitated enough to throw the book at you.

Good luck on finding a lawyer.

Your warrant sounds like it is for failure to register as a sex offender, a class C felony. The $1000 fine you spoke of was probably for the weiner incident.

you're wrong, What Are the Penalties for Indecent Exposure in Seattle?.

In the case it's a kid or something that's been done before sure, but it's not. I'm in Seattle, believe it or not, I could walk down the street naked and not be charged, hard to believe but true.

And you would be wrong. In many states indecent exposure can be considered a "registrable offense", even if children aren't involved.

(Try googling "Do I Have To Register As a Sex Offender for Indecent Exposure?")

The fact is that over 20 years ago you were court ordered to do something and you didn't do it, and therefore there is a bench warrant.

You need a lawyer.

None of us know the specifics of your case, nor do we know you. On the one hand, given the length of time and that you haven't gotten in trouble again, you might get some leniency if you address this directly rather than wishing it away - maybe a five and community service. On the other hand, given your attitude displayed here, someone may just as likely get agitated enough to throw the book at you.

Good luck on finding a lawyer.
You guys don't know how arrogant you come across, then, I have an attitude when I say something about it. As far as "throwing the book at me" I don't think I'd even have to speak to anyone in court but if I did it wouldn't be the same as I do here and I don't want to talk to them at all. Let the lawyer do all that, it's mouth that got me into all this and NOT having enough attitude to stand up for myself and tell them all I'd not say anything in the first place.

I'm not wrong. Indecent exposure is $1000, failure to register is $10,000. You yourself said your fine was $10K. The assumption is easy
no, i was never required to register. it was other things, it was a continuance where I just thought the counselors were going to screw me as much as possible, that is why I stopped Anyways, I was looking at it last night and it looks like all old cases have been tinkered with, I can't see as much but it said the fine or bail rate was reduced or something. They've been trying to purge warrants in Seattle because they have a huge backlog but the problem is, obviously, no one trusts them enough to just go in and take care of them. For good reason. Anyways, thanks for whatever advice you gave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back