no lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimberleydiane

Landlord has placed a three day eviction notice on my door i am in the state of Texas and am wondering how long me and my child actualy have until we are forced out with no signed lease.We were under agreement that i may pay what i can afford.I am behind on Dec. rent only i did pay something in Oct. and Nov.

An eviction is a court process. The note you refer to is likely a pay or quit. Thgsi means you have 3 days to pay rent or Landlord can go to court and file for eviction

You have between 20-45 days depending on how you play the process. When you get the notice of court hearing you need to answer it. Anything will do, say you paid what was due this month to stall. That will add a few days to the process.

Vebal agreements are becoming harder to prove in court and hold very little clout in the eyes of a judge, especially in Texas. If they had a verbal agreement the resident paid let's say $500 a month for 5 months and then one month could only pay $100 because that is all they "could afford" which is very vague anyway. The resident would have to prove that that is all they could afford and better have a good answer and hope they did not spend the money they made on cowboy's playoff tickets instead of paying for rent. Good luck going before a judge as the landlord and trying to back it up the verbal agreement. The landlord could still evict and would probably get the judgement by the judge simply because the landlord did not get any rent as agreed.

Landlord has placed a three day eviction notice on my door i am in the state of Texas and am wondering how long me and my child actualy have until we are forced out with no signed lease.We were under agreement that i may pay what i can afford.I am behind on Dec. rent only i did pay something in Oct. and Nov.
In what county do you reside?
Larger counties (Harris, Dallas, etc...) evictions often take weeks.
Smaller counties, evictions take 2-3 weeks.
If the weather is inclimate, further delays can be advantaged.
Even if you lose the eviction process, you can file an appeal.
Your appeal would be from municipal or justice court to county-courts-at-law.
You can even take appeal to district court, to further forestall the eventual dispossession.

20-23 days is the minimum amount of time to evict someone in any County in Texas. It must also be noted that any eviction suit is subject to appeal to the County Courts-at-Law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back