Nightmare with rental!

Status
Not open for further replies.

redjoy

I have no idea what to do, my daughter who is disabled & I have POA rented a very small duplex. She gets an SSIck each month & I help her to understand paying bills. She moved in 11/07 & loved it. Then the elec bills came in high & when air on 250.mo when she has nothing no washer, dryer, dishwasher, 1bedroom. She asked the landlord to check things he said it was fine. So far it is over 1,000. as now with 260.due by tues or shut off. She has borrowed, I have put money to it as we search for answers. Called an air cond business & they wouldn't take it after looking wanted nothing to do with it. They said there's so much wrong, she's been cooling the attic & alot is going to her neighbors who are attached. We called code enforcemnt they found all kinds of violations. Landlord said he will fix it when he can. Meanwhile
what does she do about electric she can't pay & shutoff, even if she tries to get somewhere else elec bills will follow her. I'm at a loss & thinking he may evict her for calling code enforcement. She wants to live on her own but between what is needed to move in & owing electric I can't see how, I'm broke from helping. We live in Fla, any ideas?

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. I also don't understand the problem completely. Why did the electric bills come in "high?" The costs of energy skyrocketed this year and high can still mean "market rate" and you just can't afford to use that much electricity. Can you explain how and why this problem is occurring? If there are code violations that are dangerous, then you may have no choice to move out. Without more I'm afraid I'm not sure how you can be helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back