NFL Copyright and Trademarks

Don Merrimon

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
I saw another thread that I wanted respond to but it was closed for replies. I want to sell football merchandise to fans but I can't get NFL licensing of course. I was thinking if I could make some generic graphics, not use the team's name, not the exact hex code color, different fonts and be in the clear.

Moderator note: The graphic illustration you posted was deleted so as avoid making this website and it's respected and revered owner a potential defendant in any lawsuits in which you could become entangled. Please don't post any other such examples. We don't enjoy being defendants in civil lawsuits.

I was thinking if I could make some generic graphics, not use the team's name, not the exact hex code color, different fonts and be in the clear.

I suggest you secure legal representation by an attorney specializing in trademark laws.

If you don't have the resources needed to acquire legal representation, be smart, don't try to proceed anyway.

Deep pocketed entities who employ a cadre of talented attorneys are best not ignored using trickeration and/or bullheaded bluster.

So...basically...you want to profit off the hard work and notoriety of other people.

Take whatever you plan to sell to an attorney for review and advice, but don't expect any sort of positive response.

Your banking on people confusing your stuff for the real team stuff and that's exactly what the Trademark laws are all about preventing.

Back