Need to Move out of State and Husband denies

Status
Not open for further replies.

yogurtlvr

I have joint custody - me with primary and my husband has every other weekend. Since we moved out in June, 2006, my husband has only seen his son about 5 times. The last time he saw his son was in February so my son could get his report card that was mailed to him. I need to move out of state as I cannot afford to live here anymore. My husband says he won't let me. My attorney wants another $1,500 retainer to file a " motion to move" with the court so I can prove that I cannot afford to live here and therefore get a court order for me to move. I do not have the money to do this so wondering what other options I have. If it possible to do this on my own and how do I go about doing that? My second question is if my husband decided to grant my move, do I stll have to go through the courts to get a court order or can I just have my husband sign a statement and have it notorized that he approved my move?

Most courts have a self help/law library. You can go there and research and file yourself if you cannot pay an attorney.

Be prepared, you need to prove that the move is in the childs best interest. If dad rarely sees the child now, by you moving he will see the child even less. If Dad decides to dispute the move, you have alot of convincing to do.

Also, be prepard to foot all or at least half of the transportation costs, and get a visitation schedule put together.

If you can get Dad to sign a notarized statement allowing you to permamently relocate out of state, that probably would offer you some protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back