Need to be pointed in the right direction. Any help would be appreciated.

Discussion in 'Child Support' started by confused44, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. confused44

confused44 New Member

I reside in Michigan. I have been divorced since Aug 2010 and have 2 children (Joint Legal Custody, Physical Custody to me) I receive no Child Support, provide the Health/Dentaln Insurance for us and in the divorce decree it states that my ex will pay half of the cost of Doctors visits/care for the children. My ex has not worked since Feb 20, because of his own health reasons and is currently waiting on a decision from SSI/Disability as well as DHS as to when/if his case will be addressed and he may receive support from the State/Government. I have several problems. I have asked him several times for money for the childrens bills as ordered and I have not received a dime in over a year. What can I do about that? I have already filed Bankrupcy because of this guy and now he wont follow the order. Also, last night he informed me that he would be taking in a "roommate" to help pay his bills at his home. Yep, that's right a male "roommate". He lives in a 2 BR apartment. I asked about the sleeping arrangements when the children have scheduled parenting time....his reply was "Not Sure Exactly".....I have not done any backround on the new "roommate" however I believe that he does not know this person well (like only 4-6 weeks of talking over Facebook and texts. A few in-house visits) and my fear is that the "roommate" is some type of criminal/has a record. Is there anything that I can do to limit/restrict the ex's parenting time?? Also, my ex is very explosive....that among many other things is why I left him with the kids. I have had a PPO against him in the past (during the divorce) but that has expired. I went to my county courthouse today to ask questions but that is like getting a straight answer from a kid....they just talked in circles. :( I need real help.

2. Proserpina

Proserpina Moderator

First let's take the financial aspect. You can take him back to court and try to have him held in contempt for non-payment. This may or may not happen. Given that he has a disability case going on, the court may be more lenient with him than they would ordinarily. Or , you can try to sue him in small claims (if you've paid the full amount) for reimbursement.

Second, the room-mate.

It's honestly - in the eyes of the court - none of your business unless you can prove that this person is a threat to the children. If Dad has spent several weeks talking to this person and wants to help him out, that's up to him - the courts will trust his judgment, just as they trusted yours when you decided that Dad was good Dad material :)

I see no reason at all for restricting parenting time. There's no emergency and your children are not in any danger.

So, if you have a court order for parenting time and you refuse without a darn good reason (and I mean an emergency - not that you don't know/like the new roomie), you can find yourself held in contempt.

If you do it often enough - you can lose custody to Dad.

By the way, the court employees are not allowed to answer legal questions.

confused44 likes this.
  3. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

OP, Proserpina has dispensed some excellent information.
    So, I will only add that IF your "ex" does eventually get disability benefits, you likely will get paid.
    But, it might be a drastically reduced amount.
    Why, do I say that?
    Well, social security (SSI) payments are often untouchable, as far as child support goes.
    This excerpt from a well written article explains it well.
    Even if he were to receive SS payments, his obligation would likely be adjusted downward.
    Either way, this would be considered a significant change in circumstances.
    By the way, this article was written by a Michigan attorney.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
    confused44 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.